While checking the control load that would be on a thermostat I found something interesting. An MKC-2 24v. 15watt (printed on coil)solinoid was being used in the liquid line. Sporlan literature showed 1.3 amps for coil. Dividing watts (15)by volt (24) showed .625 amps. Checking on supply house counter with 24v. trans. and an amp. check showed .98 amps. What tha did I miss here, power factor when dividing watts by volts? Thanks in advance
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

I bet if Lusker were to move this over to the pro technical area, Andy would have a better chance of seeing it.

The coil in question was on the solenoid valve stem?

Andy may yet comment, but I think I can handle this one for him. I found the talble showing the inrush and holding amps in Sporlan's bulletin 30-10. Mine shows 1.4 amps holding for the coil in question.

As to why your mathematical calculation doesn't work, you must remember that Ohm's law doesn't hold true for an inductive load such as a coil.

westcoast

what is the math then. Yes it was on the stem. Only did that once years ago. You remember things like that when you pay for them.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Originally posted by madeinusa
    I bet if Lusker were to move this over to the pro technical area, Andy would have a better chance of seeing it.
    LMAO

Originally posted by westcoast refer man
    Andy may yet comment, but I think I can handle this one for him. I found the talble showing the inrush and holding amps in Sporlan's bulletin 30-10. Mine shows 1.4 amps holding for the coil in question.

As to why your mathematical calculation doesn't work, you must remember that Ohm's law doesn't hold true for an inductive load such as a coil.
    It's late at night. westcoast refer man is correct about the inrush on a/c coils. I'll get you a proper explanation tomorrow.