Wage tree

Thread: Wage tree

Lightbulb

Does any company have a wage tree type of system in which an employee gets paid on how much knowlege he knows. This would be some kind of document that would show if the tech completed certain tasks and completed a certain amount of classes that he could advance to the next wage level. Thanks

Originally posted by stevevv68
    Does any company have a wage tree type of system in which an employee gets paid on how much knowlege he knows. This would be some kind of document that would show if the tech completed certain tasks and completed a certain amount of classes that he could advance to the next wage level. Thanks
    We have a 5 year wage scale. If a person joins us with a 2 year college degree he would start at a level 2-0. After 6 months an a review he would go to level 2-6 and in six months 3-0 etc.

Very rarely would we hire someone off the street and try to teach him the trade. For such exceptions the man would start at 0-6.

I think unions are setup that way, I'm not sure but I think it is true. I think it works something like what I have listed below. I also added in parenthesis what one might consider as the paralell to the tree, using tree parts to help illustrate the Tree. Feel free to copy and use it in any seminars or books as you wish, its just a little something I made up while I was laughi uh uhh uh I mean reading your question..

apprentice ( the leaves) gets so much.

Then b-guy (the smaller limbs) gets so much.

Then a journeyman (the large limbs) gets so much.

Then a foreman (the upper-trunk) gets so much.

Then a really good foreman (the Large trunk) gets even more,,

Then local union management ( the top roots)get so much

Then national management (the deepest roots) gets so much,

So I would say yes, there are treed structires of pay, in fact it is the most common method.

Originally posted by gruvn
    I think unions are setup that way, I'm not sure but I think it is true. I think it works something like what I have listed below. I also added in parenthesis what one might consider as the paralell to the tree, using tree parts to help illustrate the Tree. Feel free to copy and use it in any seminars or books as you wish, its just a little something I made up while I was laughi uh uhh uh I mean reading your question..

apprentice ( the leaves) gets so much.

Then b-guy (the smaller limbs) gets so much.

Then a journeyman (the large limbs) gets so much.

Then a foreman (the upper-trunk) gets so much.

Then a really good foreman (the Large trunk) gets even more,,

Then local union management ( the top roots)get so much

Then national management (the deepest roots) gets so much,

So I would say yes, there are treed structires of pay, in fact it is the most common method.
    This is pay for position not pay for ability... you are correct in that a union pays for how long you've hung around and managed to get "promoted", but he asked about getting paid for what you know...

To answer the OP's question, I'm not aware of any and try to understand that what you know is seldom the only factor in how much you get paid... I wish it was that easy, and you would never find a business willing to put on paper "if you take XYZ class I'll pay you $XXX dollars".

I agree , no company will pay you for what you know, but they will pay you for the ability to apply what you know. It always comes down to the ability to perform regardless of the amount of knowledge.