+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WOW that worked!! What else do you recommend?

Post Likes

Talking

WOW that worked!! What else do you recommend?

Spent the day at school taking apart and putting back together old split system and window unit. After reading some post I picked up a Husky 6-1 screwdriver and tossed it in my book bag....man that worked great....saved a lot of time and frustration looking thought the schools tool boxes for tools (told not to bring our own tool boxes to use schools tools...no real reason given....before someone ask why use the schools tools ).

So any other recommended super duper must have tools I should go and get??
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Post Likes
    Generally speaking, when ya get out in the field, any tool like that, 6 in 1 screwdrivers or multipurpose gizmos advertised by Bob Villa, any other time saving multifunction device......they suck.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Diceman is right. I had a teacher in tech school who swore by the "six in one" screwdriver... he had no clue, never worked a day in the field.

Best thing to do is to look around, and see what the other mechanics are using. On my first day on the job, I went to an HVAC supply house right after work, and bought myself long, and short 1/4", and 5/16" magnetic nut drivers.

Post Likes
    I love to see the new guys on the job ohhh so proud when they pull out their Gerber tools or Leathermans just to find out they could have bought something worth having

Post Likes
    I like the Vaco DUH-4 reversing screw driver.

Post Likes
    I've become partial to the Klein 10-in-1.

Torx and square on one end, flats and phillipseseseses on the other, plus the 1/4 and 5/16 nutdrivers.

Well made, and not bulky compared to the cheapos I've seen in the past.

Post Likes
    Same here with my Klien 10-in-1. I need to take it in and get a new philips part though... the ole arms make too much torque for it I guess.

If I had a lot of screws to take it, that isn't the way, but sometimes it's nice having just about every kind of screwdriver with you, since a lot of people like to use one of every kind of screw when putting something together.

You might also be able to find a needle nose pliers that also has a few wire strippers on it too, kinda handy if you are trying to not have many tools.

Maybe a small crecent wrench that opens big (sears has a few that are good).

Add a half a roll of duct tape, a paper clip, some gum and a swiss army knife and you should be able to fix anything you'd ever run across..... or at least blow it up ;-)

Post Likes
    No offense Dave , but for fun I'm always teasing a contruction foreman because he has a 10 in 1.
    I always say " what , 6 in 1's not cool enough for you , you had to have 10? ".

How lazy can you be?
    What's in it ? big/little phillips/flathead/-5/16-1/4-9/64-7/46 -torx-tiewire-leaklock dispenser.....we go on and on..we are so silly.

Gotta admit though , I'm jusy jealous.
    I'm just rollin' hard with my 6 in 1 .

Post Likes
    After a bit... you'll ditch the multi tasking - batman untility belt tools and carry a tool bag, tool box, or a tool pouch - with all the usual things you need to properly do you job. Then you'll get severe back pains from dragging the equivelent of your work van/truck up a ladder... because you have all the proper tools with you.

Proper thing.

You know... the craziness that old dogs such as myself.... and really really really really really OLD dogs like Diceman... subscribes to.

It's all good.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    But I'm pretty partial to my "Leatherman" pliers... the Supertool... Makes up for my inadequacy in other areas....

Like cooking and such....

Post Likes
    I always bring my 6 in 1, flashlight and meter (including jumper wires, K-type thermocouple and alligator clip adapters) with me when I first go into a customers house. I can troubleshoot 95% of my calls with this setup. Once I have the troubleshooting done, I go to the truck and get whatever fancy tools and/or parts (if any)that I need. Saves me lots of trips to the truck.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by condenseddave
    Well made, and not bulky compared to the cheapos I've seen in the past.
    I'm not really a 6 in 1, or a 10 in 1 screwdriver kind of guy, but the Klein is pretty nice.

Just watch how much you torque on the 1/4-5/16 nut drivers... they will become distorted and not go back in the handle.

If no one else has experienced this problem, then I will just say "I'm one tough MF!"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by outside rep
    camera, pad of paper
    If you had a good camera, you wouldn't need the pad of paper.

Post Likes
    That small pair (6"?) of needle nose vice grips is handy.

Take apart a folding allen wrench/torx set and use the vice grips as a driver. Great for hard to reach set screws. Also works as a temporary clamp.

Post Likes
    Whelp Guess I miss read the post about the 6-1 and 10-1 screwdrivers....have to go back a reread them. As it is I stand corrected and now correctly informed.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NedFlanders
    No offense Dave , but for fun I'm always teasing a contruction foreman because he has a 10 in 1.
    I always say " what , 6 in 1's not cool enough for you , you had to have 10? ".

How lazy can you be?
    What's in it ? big/little phillips/flathead/-5/16-1/4-9/64-7/46 -torx-tiewire-leaklock dispenser.....we go on and on..we are so silly.

Gotta admit though , I'm jusy jealous.
    I'm just rollin' hard with my 6 in 1 .
    The 10 in 1 ain't cool enough, really. I'd buy a 30 in 1.

Post Likes
    I use my 10/1 in all leaking water calls I have a bucket with cutters and pvc fiting and take my 10/1 and thats all I need

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Diceman
    Generally speaking, when ya get out in the field, any tool like that, 6 in 1 screwdrivers or multipurpose gizmos advertised by Bob Villa, any other time saving multifunction device......they suck.
    I do not agree with this.....I would guess that %75 of my service calls could be done with my cresent 7 in one & a multimeter!and my leatherman NEVER leaves my side!
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    My Leatherman leaves my side more than the old "johnson" leaves my sho..... nevermind....

but I've worn out six leathermans... but only purchased one. It's used that often... and yeah, sometimes it's not used for the purpose it was intended. (THE LEATHERMAN - I was referring to!)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in