Thread: PTAC

I just started working at a fancy high end retirement village and each apartment is equipped with one or more Amana Ptac heat pumps. They work well but I am not real familiar with the charging procedures. I keep several new units in stock for emergency replacement as the old folks have health issues when it is very hot here in NC. I now have several units in my shop with more problems than the typical control boards, which seem to be a problem from the word go. If i need to check pressures should I install a quick tap and evacuate then solder in a high and low permanent tap or just leave the temp tap in place. Also where can I get some tech info on these units. The new units don't even come with T/P charts. They do have scroll compressors.

We service three retirement homes that have those things and they are a pain. I almost always just pull the charge and weigh it back in, if I have a question about it. Yeah, the boards are the problem often.

later,
    Bobby

It's a rotary compressor not a scroll.

I agree with Bobby and pull the charge and weigh it back in, they only hold 2-3 lbs.

Braze on a saddle valve. The line taps you screw on leak.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

thanks guys

One more question. If the condensor or evap springs a leak or the 4 way valve goes bad are they really worth fixing.

Dave

change them out with FRIEDRICH'S - AMERICA'S best air conditioner - says so right on the box.

cheap blower wheels plastic

they are rotary compressors ive changed a handfull of them out i put inline taps on then weigh in the charge usually around 22 to 28 ozs (surburban units)

I also work for a high end retirement home owned by HRC we have several amana ptac's and alot of the time a new board will fix the problem but if they are freezing up odds are they are low on charge. I have had to charge up several, but the manufacture states to charge with gas. this can take some time. Can anyone advise a way to speed up the process. Jim NC

Braze inline taps on them, don't screw with piercing taps.

For what they cost, its not worth replacing the compressor, if its not under warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by heatpumpjesus View Post
    change them out with FRIEDRICH'S - AMERICA'S best air conditioner - says so right on the box.
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-26-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Starwarsith88HVAC, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Thread Closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?