furnace insulation smokers smell

furnace insulation smokers smell

Heavy smokers lived in the house. All duct work, return and supply plenums, returns and supply grills have been replaced. Walls wood trim kilzed and painted. Carpet ect. replaced. No problem with smoke odor during heating season, all work done during last cooling season. During spring when heat or cooling not needed odor returned. The only thing not replaced or kilzed is the supply boots and I have recommended that be done. I wonder if the furnace (80% gas) cabinet and cooling coil box insulation or heat exchanger is causing the smell. PS the blower assembly was removed, cleaned and reassembled and the cooling coil was washed also. What can the insulation be cleaned and or treated with other than replacing it. Seems when the humidity increased in the house the smell returned. Owner is running the AC now to see if this reduces the odor but does not want to sell the property without being able to be satisfied the odor will not return. It is an ethical thing to him in the sell of the property.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

I've had luck with Clenair neutralizer tubs placed in the returns and AHU. You need plenty and they're not cheap, but it removes odor. I had luck with those bags of lava rocks sold at BGBX store work too, but not as fast. My brother stayed with me and smoked up my rear bedroom that is now my office. they worked. but it took some time.

thanks for that

I will pass it on to the owner. I checked the bathroom fans and they had replaced the covers but not the fans and the smell was strong. In the attic around the fans the insulation was stained brown. Owner is having fans and duct replaced. Insulation removed and replaced also. Found out he never had supply ducts to bonus room upstairs replaced and that is being done also.How about an RGF unit. Has worked well in my house.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Clean and then coat the insulation with foster 40 20