Well I have been working as a maintenance engineer for a hotel for a few months now... at first I was elated for the job, but now its going south very very fast.

I was promised work on kitchen equipment ( walk ins, reach ins ) but that never happened. Instead they threw me on the night shift after only a few days of training and said "try not too call us if you can help it"... ok im a warm body filling in a spot so they don't get called at night... great.

I'm very down right now... working alot of overtime to fill in for guys that aren't showing up on time or at all, and my schooling is going to complete waste.

I now live in Grapevine ( finally moved from Aledo! ) and definately in search of a job pertaining more to HVAC... I want so very very badly to start my career, and I thought this job was my key. You can only imagine how depressing it is when you finally figure out you never even left the starting gate.

Hmm...<shaking cobwebs out of brain> if I remember, you're the guy who was being hassled by the day shift guys and you went to the chief engineer to talk stuff out. He then promised he wanted to get you working on kitchen equipment and the like but apparently that hasn't happened.

You probably know what to do. Move on. I've found over the years it's easier to get another job when you're already employed. Ideally, you only want to leave a job not because you're unhappy where you are but because you've come across a better opportunity that you can't pass up, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. You have to essentially fire your employer. (don't do it before getting new work, however!)

It's still hot out. I'm in Fort Worth. It's hot there, it's hot in Grapevine, it's hot in Dallas. There's bound to be an a/c company a bit shorthanded who will look at your present employment and prior schooling and perhaps give you a start in the installation department, where you can make a break into service once you've got some experience under your belt. I know, that's no easy road, but it's a road many of us here have traveled to get where we are now.

The HVAC trade is still largely one where you gotta pay your dues to move forward. You've got a little equity where you are now, being you've discovered the need to open your eyes a bit wider when selecting an employer, and that promises can often fail. Just keep pushing onward.

Main thing to remember is this: when you go looking for a new gig, don't carry a chip on your shoulder about your present job. Forget that crap. Go into interviews with the attitude that you know you're young in years and in the trade but you're willing to give it your best shot so you're an asset to the employer rather than a liability. If they can pick that vibe up from you, you have a very good chance getting in the door.

Best wishes and let us know!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

yah

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Turns out all the promises were just a way of stringing me along... the carrot to keep me going.

The employee issues have faded somewhat mainly because the General Manager has taken an interest in what they are doing... so now they are too freaked out about their own jobs to worry about me.

I'm just perfectly willing to take a pay cut and increase my workload if it means actually getting some darn experience! I can see why people settle into these hotel positions... decent pay and they are able to get away with slacking, but for a hard worker its just a depressing dead end.

Thumbs up

write it off to job experience and promises not made,and move on........ http://www.mepatwork.com/JobSeekerPa...teList/TX.aspx
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Do you have a profile with hvacagent?
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Call Bob Ahring at Advent Air Inc. in Lewisville. We spoke a while back and you came by and filled out an app. We have a spot that just opened today. Nice work enviroment with some sharp people. You may have to take a quick test and talk to Bob but it shouldn't be bad at all. Best place I have ever worked. I regretably have to leave for personal reasons.

972-221-4373 office number.

Doh

Got a new job today!

Went for an interview and everything went smoothe so he offered me the job. I must admit im sorta worried that im not gonna be able to live up to his expectations, but thats probably just new job jitters... I hope!

Swat... I will call that number because this new job is also in maintenance engineering so I would still like to break off into actual AC work ( went to school for two freaking years for it after all ).

In any event my time at "The Hotel" is over thankfully... I just hope things get better from here.

Advent is a full blown service company so you would definitely be learning and growing from them and you would definitely put your education to use.

Good luck.

Contacted Bob this morning and left a message... I really want to get across that im chomping hard at the bit for a HVAC position. I dont care if I take a pay cut... I want to work in this industry so bad it hurts.

Starting to regret taking the new maintenance position for sure now.... I shoulda just held out for an install, but its no biggie cause my quest for HVAC knowledge continues regardless!