Thread: New to HVAC Career

Post Likes

New to HVAC Career

Hello all,

I am currently a student, 21 years old, with an interest in pursuing a career in the HVAC industry. I recently found out about a union apprenticeship program offered through my school and decided to go for it. I applied this month and took the math exam achieving a perfect score on the exam. I am now studying for the aptitude test taking place in about a month. Is this a good start? Would you guys recommend I follow through with this opportunity? Lastly, I have ZERO experience in the field and would like to know how I would go about gaining some experience. What about pulling out the Yellow Pages and calling local companies? Do you guys think they will let me work for no pay? I am in it for the hands on experience. Thanks a bunch!

Rob
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    The technical college I am about to graduate from, puts you on an externship with a local company after your third quarter. You do one day a week for five weeks. After that you can continue if you want to and the company wants you to. You work for free, but that's how you can get some experience. You also get to take a "test drive" at that company and vise-versa.

Right now I am doing externships at two different companies. I figure you can't have your foot stuck in too many doors when you will be looking for a job soon.

Post Likes
    Welcome.

Hmmm...how to get a job without experience and how to get experience without a job? Sounds like an age old question...you might find a some companies willing to do this, would be worth trying. Good luck

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    i am only 24 and i was blessed to have my entire family in the hvac field so i had a ton of chances to get educated, i would go for the union apprenticeship if i were you, i went to school for a little bit and felt like i learned nothing compared to the day to day things you will learn and pick up from people who have been in the field for a long time. with it getting warm companies will start getting super busy and that is a good chance to try and get in as a helper with an install crew or atleast as an intern, best of luck to you, its a great field and i wouldnt change anything

Post Likes
    Welcome here!

Any luck finding a job yet?

Post Likes

My road

When I got out of school I went to just about every Hvac company with my cert and resume and basically planted my seed. Months passed and I thought it was a waste of time. I sent my resumes to companies that needed helpers and still wanted exp. I got a job doing TAB estimating cause I thought I was never gonna get a shop. Well just a couple of weeks ago I got a job offer to become a helper and ultimately becoming a tech. I start Tuesday and I'm really excited! The moral of the story is just keep "flooding" these companies with resumes and even visits! Thats just my little story. Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in