Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    pjs,

I would have to get my book out to be able to tell you the exact specs, but this circuit board will lock out either one or both stages if 3 consectutive start attempts per stage fail, thus the reason why the infinity stat showed a code, so therfore I highly doubt it was that long. Unless carrierdan kept reseting it which is possible. I could be wrong, but lets just say the compressor were to try to start with a bad cap 300 times. The overload circuit breaker inside the compresser will trip out long before you get the windings to a lethal temperature. I have actually done this to a compressor I cut open which was only a 110v window A/C compressor and or course the circuit breaker was external. I crimped the discharge tube to make it act like it was starting against pressure. The valves would actually bleed down eventually. Even 300 times as long as the circuit breaker is not welded shut the windings should still be unharmed.

Pressing both contactors though would be like holding a screwdriver across two battery terminals. Instantly red hot.

I must agree the ho's attitude leaves alot to be desired.
    And I don't doubt the tech felt his disdain while he was there, even before the compressor incident.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Guys, why are we still at each others throats?

I will give you some facts that may have been unclear before. Even though I sound(ed) harsh and I was using vulgar names, at the time the techs were here, I was fine. When I saw the smoke and knew what happened I was a little upset, but not exploding and still no name calling. By me using "service pukes" that was just a matter of venting.

I have the same company who installed it, service it. I only stated a "few weeks ago" because I just found this forum recently and my problem has not been rectified as of yet, thus the reason for this post. The total compressor problem with the light dimming was only in a 2 day period. One day I came home from work and it was hotter than normal inside. I went outside and heard the compresser try to start and then stop trying. So I shut off the breaker, let it cool for an hour and at the same time washed the coil. Turned it back on and it worked fine. Next day come home from work and house was hot again and this time I caught the lights dimming down several times. I shut off the A/C at the stat and called for service at 6:30pm and the dispatcher said next day a tech would be out.

They installed a new start kit and an infinity stat ($300 for stat) (so I could see the actual codes next time) and it worked perfect for 3 full days. But I guess the acid from the cap ate thru the jel like coating on the board and shorted it out. This is when all hell breaks. The infinity stat simply says Critical Malfunction and I did not know how to reset it. The unit was dead 100% at this point. Not even the infinity stat could communicate with the outdoor unit. I shut it off and called again and you know the rest........

The way some of you make it sound, this equipment is so delicate. I won't beleive for a minute that my lack of acting sooner caused this problem. If I am the cause of the failure, then by all mean where the hell is this world going with this expensive disposable garbage. I thought thats why they need all the electonics so everything can be safe and protected from overloading and whatever else you can think of.

I got this unit because of the good warranty and the fact that they conviced me that they have many of these installed and they are more bulletproof compared to the cheaper units. Please let me know if this unit is a pile of #$%&. Now is the time I can make the switch.

I'm not at anyones thoat,

By your own admission you are guessing

I just don't think the kid caused the ACID BURN OUT CONDITION. Yeh he delivered the "killing blow" as it were ,the ACID BURN OUT and contamination I think is a warranty item, that was caused by an UNKNOWN, brown out,what ever I don't think you caused it unless you kept resetting the t stat at which point it would still not be your fault if you were our customer

But you were looking to blame the installing contractor and the kid. Putting the cost of compressor replacement and the lineset and the coil and clean up on them is wrong in my opinion.

the "service pukes" remark pissed me off BIG time, I admit and it should,don't you.

The fact that the service company is willing to deal with you at this point says a lot for them, dont stand over top of them.

I don't like anyone standing overtop of me unless they have more experience or know more. And she only gets to do that cause I let her, but don't tell her that.

You still have time to apollogise to us service pukes

Originally posted by beenthere
    Originally posted by pjs

The Pressure equalizing I was refering to was the txv not equalizing think that's possible.??

The txv doesn't need to bleed or equalize, the TS with its start componets is designed to start against a non equalized system.

So you are saying the kid caused the Acid Burn Out, just how long did he hold in that contactor, oh I forgot you wern't there were you?

If a systems oil BURNS and turns Acid in a couple of seconds I think we would be replacing alot more compressors

He put the cap in circuit with the run and start windings at the same time, it would take less then 5 secs to burn it, Thats according to York, the company that owns Bristol.

face it you jumped

I wasn't there ( at this guys house) but I was at 2 classes for the TS systems.

get real when this kinda SFN hits your company I bet you cry like a spanked baby.

You mean like when some body cross threaded a txv on a coil, so we had to change it out for free, or we ate a 450 dollar mixing valve repair kit because the tech didn't read the instructions first.

I don't cry over spilled milk.

face it you f'd up and jumped without enough info SPORT

crybaby

Dan, take a picture of your outside and inside unit and post it please.

LOL...

Unknown brownout, thats grasping for straws.

If we were at each others throats, the mods would have closed this thread by now.

pjs, and I will never convince each other of who is right on this.

And it really doesn't matter now any more.

Now I'm gonna go and cry in my coffee.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by carrierdan
    In a little over a year there is absolutly no excuss that it should need even one part.
    If you believe that I,m glad You are someone elses customer.

[Edited by dash on 08-24-2005 at 10:41 AM]

Originally posted by beenthere
    LOL...

Unknown brownout, thats grasping for straws.

If we were at each others throats, the mods would have closed this thread by now.

pjs, and I will never convince each other of who is right on this.

And it really doesn't matter now any more.

Now I'm gonna go and cry in my coffee.
    Can't read or just like twisting things? Here's what I said,
    that little thing after UNKNOWN is a comma

And it still is an unknown that caused the acid condition

"the ACID BURN OUT and contamination I think is a warranty item, that was caused by an UNKNOWN,"

Dash,

Do you think a suction drier to begin with and multiple LL drier changes would clean up the system?

compensate employees for con ed or have mistakes like this cost you money down the road!

Originally posted by jrbenny

I can really be a d***head when I want to be one!
    I just thought you were that way all the time!

Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer
    Dash,

Do you think a suction drier to begin with and multiple LL drier changes would clean up the system?
    Nope.

Suction line driers use a cleaning agent known as Activated Alumni, liquid line driers do not. At least not enough to provide cleaning. This desiccant over time with the right temperature can become acidic. This is one reason why it is not recommend to leave the suction line dryer in no more than 72 hours.

The only approved dryer for Puron uses a complete desiccant of XH-11 with no Activated Alumni. So multiple changes of the liquid line dryer (since it has no cleaning agent) will most likely have little effect on cleaning the refrigerant circuit.

Multiple changes of the suction line dryer will be the best way to clean up the refrigerant circuit. Since it is a two speed unit I would also recommend changing the TXV as sometimes there is just no cleaning them in a severe burnout situation.

Changing the liquid line dryer will be a good idea since the system will be opened up, but will have little effect on cleaning acid.

Burnouts on a two-speed unit are a bad situation IMO.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast