Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Sounds like you run a good company. I wish all HVAC shops were like that.

Red face

Thanks for the input guys. A senior tech came out today and evacuated the unit and then took an acid test. At first he would not tell me the results until he called his boss. Sure enough, system is loaded with acid enough to need flushing. I talked with the owner of the company and he still refuses to give me new equipment. So I asked him if he will give me an extra 5 year gurentee on the system after the manufactures warranty expires. He also said no. I abruptly said this is your last offer to correct the mistake your tech made and I guess I will be hiring an attorny. I told them to not come back until I recieved instuctions from the attorny and hung up.

About 20 minutes later he called back and said he will personally come out and rip apart the entire system and flush with whatever type of solvent I want and vacuum for however long I want. He even offered to remove the condensor coil from the outdoor unit and flush that. After all that I told him why bother, you will have more man hours in the labor alone and I made a counter offer. I told him I will pay for a new linset, new indoor coil, if he will pay for a new outdoor unit and the labor. He told me he will have to think about it for a day and you can bet I will be calling him tomorrow.

The way I feel, if I can get out of this mess for an extra $350, why not. I would rather pay $350 now for a coil and linset than paying 2 grand 15 years later after the warranty goes out. I just hope he will replace the outdoor unit. What do you guys think about this. Am I going overboard? A few of you seem to think I am right except for the namecalling and such.

If what you have stated is true,and I'm not saying it isn't,just a odd situation,that I've never seen ,and it looks like your first post,I'd take your offer of the extra five years.Based on my belief that there won't be a problem,if it's cleaned up correctly.

I'm just a pee on, but I think your offer was very generous. Before the atty. call the distributor that he buys his equipment from. Leave the atty. talk out of the conversation.

sounds reasonable to me on both of your offers. i and or my boss would have given the extra five years with out question just to keep you as a coustomer and it is good relations also. if he cleans it up and is willing to stand behind it you will still have a good system for many years to come. a suction line filter dryer need to be added to the unit and replace once a month till the unit shows totaly clean just in case. then it needs to be remove and left off. i wm not sure about 410a but there is acid neutralizer you can add as a safey precaution with 22. not sur if there is one for 410a
    as far as run a good service dept well we have our share of screw ups to and some are whoppers

What do you guys think about this.

I think you got over on the contractor because you were the cause of the burnout. It didnt matter who it was that applied power to the unit next --you continued to attempt to start it and ran it causing the windings to burn instead of leaving it alone.

Thats what I think Mr supervisor, and you need to apoligise to that tech----the puke

are you going to supervise his boss also

The Bristol TS does run in reverse rotation for low capacity, and forwaed for 100% capacity.

If both contactors are pulled, or pushed in, you can kiss it good bye.

The tech srewed up.

You got to have patience and wait for the controls to go through their timing on 2 stage systems.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I think that compressor was on it's way out long before that 18 yr old "service puke" put his fingers in there.And you know it.

Here's what caused the burn out
    Quote "All last year unit worked well. A few weeks ago the compressor had a hard time starting on 2nd stage, it would dim the lights, hum and sometimes do this several times before it would kick on"

You mean to tell us he caused the burn out by pushing in the contactor, how long did he hold it in 20 minutes??, nah more like a couple a seconds huh. He just served up the coup de gra^ce, and you are wrong for trying to get a new unit out of that company. And the guys who are jumping up and down saying hang'em you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Folks, please take a moment to look at this picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...31060220LiyVOp

The original poster of this thread said that when the start kit was replaced, it worked great for 3 days. This tells me the damage was done by the tech.

All compressors have an internal overload to protect the windings. If he was letting the unit try to start with bad caps this overload (should) have enguaged before any damage to the windings ever occured. Plus the newer units have a very strict algorithm that if the circuit board detects problems with the compressor starting, it will set a code and for the most part prevent the compressor from starting until the problem is rectified. I have not read up on the functions of this board, but I would simply assume this would be the case.

If the tech pressed both contactors in at the same time, the overload would probably fail to protect the windings because you are technically "shorting" it out. For as picky as this guy is, I would have thought he would have called sooner.

Originally posted by salmike
    Folks, please take a moment to look at this picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...31060220LiyVOp

The original poster of this thread said that when the start kit was replaced, it worked great for 3 days. This tells me the damage was done by the tech.

All compressors have an internal overload to protect the windings. If he was letting the unit try to start with bad caps this overload (should) have enguaged before any damage to the windings ever occured. Plus the newer units have a very strict algorithm that if the circuit board detects problems with the compressor starting, it will set a code and for the most part prevent the compressor from starting until the problem is rectified. I have not read up on the functions of this board, but I would simply assume this would be the case.

If the tech pressed both contactors in at the same time, the overload would probably fail to protect the windings because you are technically "shorting" it out. For as picky as this guy is, I would have thought he would have called sooner.
    I DON'T BUY IT READ MY POST AGAIN
    how long would you have to hold in a contactor to cause a burn out condition and I'm not talking about just the windings.
    carrierdan is saying he is entiltied to a new unit a new coil and lineset because the refrigerant is burnt.That kid didn't cause that that was done over time

From personal experience of burning out a control board and on a seperate occasion an ice machine compressor, it doesn't take but a second.

I think the words used by the OP is what has some backs up. Once you come to the realization that this is how most people that can afford a system like that think of us, you will be able to "let it go". Just collect their money and remember no matter who they are and what they have we will all end in the same way, dust.

Originally posted by pjs
    I think that compressor was on it's way out long before that 18 yr old "service puke" put his fingers in there.And you know it.

Here's what caused the burn out
    Quote "All last year unit worked well. A few weeks ago the compressor had a hard time starting on 2nd stage, it would dim the lights, hum and sometimes do this several times before it would kick on"

You mean to tell us he caused the burn out by pushing in the contactor, how long did he hold it in 20 minutes??, nah more like a couple a seconds huh. He just served up the coup de gra^ce, and you are wrong for trying to get a new unit out of that company. And the guys who are jumping up and down saying hang'em you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Are you familair witht the Bristol TS compressor?

The tech pushed in both contactors at the same time, not just one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

For those of you who think it is still my fault after all the knowledgeable people here clearly show it will burn out if both contactors are pressed, simply blame carrier for using crappy starter capacitors. In a little over a year there is absolutly no excuss that it should need even one part. My other system lasted 22 years and all it needed was a few oz of refrigerant after about 15 years. In my opinion, I am over the fact of who did what and who's fault it was. I am now into the stages of what to do to get this replaced otherwise I will not trust the system to last after the warranty goes out.

I called the company today and he told me that he does not stock this unit at his shop and that his local supply house has a damaged one. It has some major cabinet damage and the fan blade got pushed to one side enough to put small bend marks in the coil. He told me he would gut my unit and put the necessary parts on the new unit to make it look like a new one and also have a newer serial number. This way the compressor and coil stays sealed and I will simply have to have 1 year old sheet metal. I think this sounds like a good idea and will go for it. I told him I will make my decision when I see the damaged unit, but for the most part I am all for it. He still wants me to pay for a new coil and lineset which I guess I can accept. He told me the new unit also does not come with a TXV like my other one did and I would also need to purchase one if I want it replaced. Do I need to replace this as well? Or being it is so small can it be flushed?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast