Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Exclamation

All last year unit worked well. A few weeks ago the compressor had a hard time starting on 2nd stage, it would dim the lights, hum and sometimes do this several times before it would kick on. So I called up the service puke's to take a look at it. They found the capacitor start system was blown up all over the electrical cabinet. They installed a new start system, and then recommended me to get a infinity thermostat. I told them sure. After installing this stat, the unit worked PERFECT for about 3 days. Then I got a critical malfunction on the stat saying something about the outdoor unit again. They sent out a young tech, maybe 18yrs old at best and with all the money wrapped up in this system I decided I better supervise. Sure enough he the board had some acid on it from the old start pack and there were black burn marks in certain spots so he changed it out. Here comes the good part, after the new board was installed for no reason whatsoever, he manually presses both contactors in and a few seconds later out comes a cloud of smoke from the compressor terminal box along with a loud hum from the compressor. He looked at me and said looks like you have some wiring problems. I said back it looks like you need to learn how a reverse rotation compressor works.

Needless to say I knew the compressor is toast at this point and called the company to send out a senior tech that actually knows what is going on. So next day he sends out an older guy and he installed a new compressor wiring harness and this time let the system pull the contactor in. Nothing, now the board flashes a code to him about a compressor trip fault. I told him what the other tech did and he slugged it off like he didn't do anything wrong. He then stated I must have some low voltage conditions that cause the failure. He said he would get a compressor coming and see if that does the trick.

I called the company and asked if I could have a new unit and all hell broke loose. What should I do at this point? Isn't the oil contaminated with acid?

Originally posted by carrierdan
    So I called up the service puke's to take a look at it.

You'll get far using statements like that here... Good Luck

Sincerely, a Service Puke.

what exactly did the infifnity stat say? something about the outdoor unit is pretty vague. if there were burnt spots all over the conrol board, i hardly think it was changed for no reason. is your service co a factory authorized carrier dealer? if not, call one.

First, I am assuming that the system was installed last year or is still under warranty. Secondly, with all due respect, why such a bad attitude about the situation. The capacitor blew-up and caused several problems with your unit. Causes of the problem could be anything from power surges to lightning. Whatever the cause, the liquid in a capacitor is hard to clean and can penetrate crevices that even the best technician could miss. It sounds like it must have penetrated the control board and also damaged the compressor. The young tech. did a good job in finding that particular problem and in turn did nothing wrong in depressing the contactor rather than waiting for the time delay to time out the low voltage. This could have been a preliminary test for the new board. In this field self-confidence is the key to a good service technician and you probably damaged his by bashing his abilities when another problem manefest itself. It is a good possibility that he was already nervous with you "supervising" his work. I am sure that he knows a little more than you about this system and was not in need of "supervision". As for requesting a new unit, all hell should have broken loose. Give the company a chance to make necessary repairs to this system. As for acid in the system, only if it was a internal burn-out(short) would there be any acid. Even then, there are ways of "neutralizing" the acid. As for what you should do, do nothing at this time. Let the company do their job.

amen

Originally posted by hvac_czar
    Originally posted by carrierdan
    So I called up the service puke's to take a look at it.

You'll get far using statements like that here... Good Luck

Sincerely, a Service Puke.

couldn't have said it better myself.

I know, I was just venting a little. I kept my attitude to myself when the techs were here. The part that fries me is that on a regular dual compressor 2 stage unit, you do indeed press in both contactors so both compressors run. On this unit it only has one compressor but with 2 different rotations. Only one contactor can be pulled in at one time. He pressed them both, thats when the compressor went up in smoke.

I will agree the young tech was correct in replacing the board, but I think HE ruined the compressor and that is the only reason why I am pissed off. I understand all stuff will break down at some point. I am not real good at reading wiring diagrams but I did take my book to a friend who is an electrician, and he assured me that by pressing both contactors at the same time would fry the windings in the compressor or melt a harness.

Maybe I was wrong about him knowing more about the system than you. I've been in this field for ten years now and this is the first that I have heard of this type of system. He may be in the wrong for not fully understanding the system before he took action, but that is all part of learning. Mistakes will happen. Now that it has happened, you will get a new compressor and a young technician has learned a valuable lesson. The only reason that I can see for your being upset is the inconvinience that this has caused you. I understand that you have invested alot of money into the system and are probably concerned of the outcome, but let the necessary repairs be made and you will probably not see any reprocusions from this incident. As far as venting your frustrations, it is good to vent every now and then, but there is one thing that you may need to realize. People in the HVAC industry are comparable to a "tight knit" family due to the fact that we all have been stereo-typed as being "money-hungry hacks" who are out to take advantage of people. That is why some of us are quick to defend others and the trade. Granted there are some "bad apples" in this barrel, but that does make all of us bad. Good luck with your system.

Cool

hey carrier how about a m# and s# this puke wants to check into the systems operating sequence

I understand your frustration.

The only one reason I am pissed is because I want this unit to last as long as my old one. My old whirlpool lasted 22 years and it was still going strong. But so was the electric meter.-Hehe

This system uses POE oil which loves water. Everytime the system is opened up there is a change of moisture embedding in the oil. Plus the only way to get out acid 100% is a new system or $400 of Rx11 flush. No company is going to do this and no company is going to vacuum to 200 microns. This is why I am upset. I am convinced that if he did not press in those contactors the compressor would have been fine.

Even if I get a new compressor and a good vacuum job, are my coils and new compressor going to last?

Model# 38TDB036---300
    Serial# 0104 Built in 2004. The rest I will keep to myself for warranty reasons.

and with all the money wrapped up in this system I decided I better supervise.

Plus the only way to get out acid 100% is a new system or $400 of Rx11 flush. No company is going to do this and no company is going to vacuum to 200 microns. This is why I am upset. I am convinced that if he did not press in those contactors the compressor would have been fine.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Supervisor

you said:

A few weeks ago the compressor had a hard time starting on 2nd stage, it would dim the lights, hum and sometimes do this several times before it would kick on. So I called up the service puke's to take a look at it. They found the capacitor start system was blown up all over the electrical cabinet.

being a supervisor and knowing as much about the hvac busniesss as you do , you should know that long before the service puke pushed in the contactor the "idiot that owns the system continued to try and start the unit with a bad cap instead of calling the service pukes in when he first had trouble. The continued attempts to start the unit with a bad cap overheated the start windings and BURNED THE INSULATION, and at the age of the homeowner you would think he would know better.
    so what you have done is set the compressor up to fail the next time power is applied to it and blame it on someone so that you can get a free repair

It is just a shame that someone like you got over on that company and caused that 18 yr old puke so much grief knowing that you caused it yourself

Big Problems With Carrier 38TDB036 Infinity 18!! Tech at fault?

Just when yaw had me almost convinced those systems were bullet proof.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Cool

love the catch fraise ct2 makes our job seem a little more relevent.
    i agree with the electromechanical thermodynamic scientists' statements!! anyway i just wanted to add that carriers statements are just a bit of an overkill. the last c.o.s.s. class i was at copeland said they have found that when you pull a deep vacuum you just freeze the water in the oil and the only way to really get it out is with an acid test and constant drier changes. for example they monitored some rack installs and pulled a lessor vacuum on one rack (sorry cant quote actual microns off the top of my head) this rack had the drier changed every 30 days for 3 months and had less moisture in it than when it left the factory. apparently the poe's oil is a pain to work with but with proper techniques it should not be a problem.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast