Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

measuring SC and SH

I need suggestion for best bang for the back type tools for accurate measurement of refrig pipe temp. can I use IR thermometer to measure them or should I get a clamp-able J/K type thermocouple that can be clamp on the pipe?

I've been using TPI temp probe taped to the pipe so far, and it's a guess work at best.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    I need suggestion for best bang for the back type tools for accurate measurement of refrig pipe temp. can I use IR thermometer to measure them or should I get a clamp-able J/K type thermocouple that can be clamp on the pipe?

I've been using TPI temp probe taped to the pipe so far, and it's a guess work at best.
    Right here is prob the best thing you can buy for measuring SH and SC. You dont ever want to use an infrared gun to measure that, you will never get the true reading. Other people on this site had let me to this thermometer, very accurate and very reliable.

http://www.cooper-atkins.com/product...pid=251&m=hvac
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

IRs don't seem to work well on refrig piping. I like the Cooper MFM 300, it will calculate SC, SH and a ton of other goodies. It's a bit pricey but I feel well worth the $$$. The nice thing about it is if you don't have the budget for the whole kit you can buy the meter and a couple of probes and add more later.

thermistor type meters and clamps are the most accurate. i still use k-type clamps of 2 different sizes for the hard to reach spots and test their accuracy periodically. just make sure they are insulated, if not they could mess up ure readings

IRs don't measure accurately on curved surfaces (pipe).
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

I just bought this guy:
    http://www.cooper-atkins.com/product...et.asp?pid=130

I like that I'm not messing around with a cord and detaching the leads from my meter all the time.
    (Residential ACs)

Do you use a set of those too energy star?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

yes
    Always here

Cooper Adkins is really good. Very reliable and durable, but the two things I've found is that they hate water (a good solid drip of water in the wrong place means you will have to get it fixed) and do not try to shut it closed with the temperature probe in the wrong place. It won't fit and will destroy the screen. Both times the screen went black.

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    yes
    Whoa....A Toolcoholic
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    I just bought this guy:
    http://www.cooper-atkins.com/product...et.asp?pid=130

I like that I'm not messing around with a cord and detaching the leads from my meter all the time.
    (Residential ACs)
    I wore one of these out and went directly to the supply house and bought another. The only thing I don't like about it is the location and small size of the display. I use the HOLD function quite a lot on this thing.

FWIW I use the Cooper clamp in addition to the DMG clamps. There's nothing like second guessing your measurments all the time. With two readings that are in close agreement I don't have that aggravation.

Clamps can give you faulty measurments. The very first time that I used my SMAN3 I got a 6° error on the LLT. It was coolish out and there was quite a breeze blowing. All of that exposed metal around the thermocouple was being affected by the ambient air. This wasn't a calibration error. When I insulated the clamp to the line the error disappeared.

I've registered similar errors with my Digicool clamps even when there was no wind blowing. But I've yet to record a significant error with the Cooper stand-alone clamp. The sensor is very small and floats on a piece of foam insulation. Just flip out the stem probe for a quick ambient reading. I highly recommend the Cooper clamp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast