+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knee Protection?

Post Likes

Knee Protection?

Wondering how many techs out there are doing anything to prevent knee problems down the road, and what your doing.

I'd like to hear your ideas. As a younger service tech I'm looking to prevent knee problems from forming down the road.

Currently I'm wearing volleyball knee pads under my work pants, I'm able to move freely and drive from call to call without removing the knee pads. Seems to be working so far.

Any input is welcome,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Draffip View Post
    Wondering how many techs out there are doing anything to prevent knee problems down the road, and what your doing.

I'd like to hear your ideas. As a younger service tech I'm looking to prevent knee problems from forming down the road.

Currently I'm wearing volleyball knee pads under my work pants, I'm able to move freely and drive from call to call without removing the knee pads. Seems to be working so far.

Any input is welcome,
    volleyball knee pads??? will you post a pic? I'm using a foam gardening pad 'cause I can move it around easy and it doesn't choke the blood flow to my legs...I'm willing to try them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sprmktrefertech View Post
    volleyball knee pads??? will you post a pic? I'm using a foam gardening pad 'cause I can move it around easy and it doesn't choke the blood flow to my legs...I'm willing to try them.
    I like a foam gardening pad.

I actually try to sit rather than kneel when I can.

Post Likes
    I think I have a Cardboard fettish?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sprmktrefertech View Post

They were a little tight the 1st few days, but now I hardly notice them. Plus I wear them under my pants so you can't tell I'm wearing knee pads.

Post Likes
    Don't they chafe the backs of your knees?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Don't they chafe the backs of your knees?
    Been using them for over a month and no problems, other than sweat.

Post Likes
    If you cook the muscles, tendons, and ligaments around your knees, you'll have big problems. Also I'd be afraid of blood clots, from those while driving. I use a Boat Cushion/float. When you kneel, you don't go thru the boat cushion. Also they are layers of foam so they shift enough, that you don't bunch the material, in your Slacks. The extra height, is easier on your toes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    If you cook the muscles, tendons, and ligaments around your knees, you'll have big problems. Also I'd be afraid of blood clots, from those while driving. I use a Boat Cushion/float. When you kneel, you don't go thru the boat cushion. Also they are layers of foam so they shift enough, that you don't bunch the material, in your Slacks. The extra height, is easier on your toes.
    The knee pads aren't tight enough to stop blood circulation, like my legs don't go numb, : )

Post Likes

Always use them!!

inexpensive ones, so if you loose it,its no big deal.
    I like the hard cap ones. Black of course. I altered my toolbox so I can sit on
    while working on furnaces. Some use a padded lid on a bucket.
    Save those knee joints!!

Post Likes
    Kinda wish I would have done more to protect my knee's when I was younger (ok, I'm far from as old as you old timers, but it's catchin up already). My knee's were actually doing pretty good for the most part, They'd hurt from time to time.

Last summer I got in a bit of a wreck in the ole race car, my left knee slammed the inside of the cockpit, and my right knee slammed my left knee (felt like slo motion!), since then my left knee gets to hurting when it's cold out, or when I use it a lot.

I can't use knee pads much, haven't found any that fit and are comfy. Might check out the volleyball style, see if they make them in a "extra huge knee" size
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    I always use the cheap ones because they're light. I was pressured into buying the expensive gel ones for 60 bucks and they lasted 2 days. They're so heavy that they just slide down all the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maniak View Post
    I always use the cheap ones because they're light. I was pressured into buying the expensive gel ones for 60 bucks and they lasted 2 days. They're so heavy that they just slide down all the time.
    I tried those too, I was constantly adjusting them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Draffip View Post

They were a little tight the 1st few days, but now I hardly notice them. Plus I wear them under my pants so you can't tell I'm wearing knee pads.
    thanks for the pic...I'll swing by a sporting goods shop and check it out....

My wife sugested using this memory foam pillow I got layin' around...lol.. we call it the brick....looks like I might have a new home for it...

Post Likes
    I have used these for years, the best I have ever found. You can wear them over your pants. You can change them real easy

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...cessor=content
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Post Likes

Wool army blanket

I have used them for years. Fold on up for knee protection, open it up to protect the floor. Wool doesn't ignite like cotton when a little hot rod falls on it.

And you don't look like a douche wearing kneepads.

However, you do have to take the jokes about, "are you napping on my time?"
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Someone A while back, showed me a pair of Carhart bibs with slots in the double knees that held gel knee pads. They looked like a good idea. The trouble I have with the knee pads that you wear, is they cut off circulation to my legs. Haven't followed up on the Carharts but I think they may work for me. In the meantme, just do the same as I have for the past 40+ years and kneel on gravel, and rocks and an occasional hex head screw, and whine every night about my knees hurting. I find it harder every day to get upright and erect, after kneeling in front of my work. Over the years, callouses have formed on the top of my feet from sitting on them so much.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    I use the black 3x4 pads that united sells they work great . it is made from the same material
    they make armaflex from . dont have to keep moving small gardning pad . and if the surface is real rough like gravel i fold it in half
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in