Carrier advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier advice

Well I had picked a Trane 13 SEER with variable speed air handler as my choice of a replacement unit with a lot of help from this site, but it looks like the dealer doesn't want to honor the bid. I phoned my acceptance but he has not come by to do the paperwork or returned my calls. Puzzling! I want to move on to my next choice which is Carrier and I have 2 choices (1) a 13 Seer R410 unit 38YX with fixed speed handler (2) a Comfort Series 14SEER with variable speed. Price for 2 is $300 more than (1). I know 14 over 13 SEER is not going to have a large payback but (2) will do better on humidity and is R-22. But then I'm wondering if Carrier's VS handlers might have more problems. The installer does a lot of Carrier, it's their main line and very reputable so I'm not worried about the instal. Any thoughts from the Carrier die hards here? Thanks

go with the puron, if your concerned about better humidity control, get the option of a vs air handler

Todd is right, 38txa will be a little quieter than XR12 and with FV4 you should get 14SEER. try Thermidistat control NICE
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the puron, but how about all those old timers in the trade who say "stay away, they're having tons of problems with Puron, 445 psi can you imagine that, no way anything like that is going to last long..."

Originally posted by gmahler
    Thanks, I'm leaning towards the puron, but how about all those old timers in the trade who say "stay away, they're having tons of problems with Puron, 445 psi can you imagine that, no way anything like that is going to last long..."
    They probably said the same thing when R-22 came out as a replacement for R-12 in air conditioners 50 years ago!

gmahler

I'm about to accept a bid to put in an Am.Std Heritage 14 unit with a VS air handler. Then I read a comment that a pro posted on a forum that he saw sweating ducts and warping floors in a house with a VS handler. Due he said to the slow speed stage. My ducts are insulated with R-4, and do sweat currently on humid days. I nearly eliminated it by running a fan in the crawlspace pointed towards the vents. Question: Is this going to be worsened with a VS handler. How should I (installer) assess the current duct so I don't have this problem?

Anyone here familiar with Amana ARHF30U01A condensing unit?
    1. Mine is at least 13 yrs old maybe 15. Never been serviced (owners man. says fan motor should be oiled). Is this known as a long lasting unit or have I been lucky. It's matched with another brand of air handler twice as old. Still cooling fine though not efficiently. Is it living on borrowed time. Maybe some of you have worked with this.
    2. Do compressor failures give warning symptoms or do they just cool one day and die the next ?

gmahler

Does the 13 SEER Am.Std condenser come with Hi-Lo protection switches for the compressor? And a line drier?
    I saw an old message in the archives saying that they did not have the switches. THanks

gmahler

Well I had picked a Trane 13 SEER with variable speed air handler as my choice of a replacement unit with a lot of help from this site, but it looks like the dealer doesn't want to honor the bid. I phoned my acceptance but he has not come by to do the paperwork or returned my calls. Puzzling! I want to move on to my next choice which is Carrier and I have 2 choices (1) a 13 Seer R410 unit 38YX with fixed speed handler (2) a Comfort Series 14SEER with variable speed. Price for 2 is $300 more than (1). I know 14 over 13 SEER is not going to have a large payback but (2) will do better on humidity and is R-22. But then I'm wondering if Carrier's VS handlers might have more problems. The installer does a lot of Carrier, it's their main line and very reputable so I'm not worried about the instal. Any thoughts from the Carrier die hards here? Thanks

gmahler

redcell - did you service your Amana regularly. I ask because I have an ARHF30 series (see my other post) and I'm wondering how much longer it might run. It's about 15 years old.

gmahler

The fan motor is bolted directly to the top frame with exposed screws on the Goodman. I've looked at an American Standard and it, like my 11 year old Carrier has what looks like a hard plastic center piece and the mounting screws are under this not exposed. I'm not saying this is bad, but I just happen to like the other design better. About the sound blanket, I can only go by what the distributor said, he was very emphatic about it not having one. Maybe he was not showing me a 13 SEER CPLT, I asked to see one..

08-07-2005 05:27 PM IP: Logged

gmahler

I have a Carrier 38YR018320 installed with an air handler FK4BNF001 in 1994. Since I have no documentation on the unit, I have been searching the web and found that an 018-30 series matched with that air handler has a TDR-TXV (the outside unit label mentions a TXV) and is rated at 18,000 BTU and 11.05 SEER. However mine is a 018-32. Can anyone tell me what that last digit after the '3' implies? Thanks again.

gmahler

Interesting discussion, I'm going to get maint. on my 11 year old Carrier Tech 2000 (first time since install). What would I expect to pay for a Contactor (I guess it's OK to ask about a part..) if it needed one. Thanks.

gmahler

Remember I'm a HO trying to learn what is considered best practices in installing heat pumps. SO I have the following questions
    (1)an installer tells me that his HP comes charged for 50'. Since my lineset is going to be only 25', there's no need to run a vacuum. True? Wouldn't he have to let some ref. out to get the correct charge and in the process can moisture seep in?
    (2) when you do a PM and connect gauges to check pressures, does that process open the system to the atmosphere, assuming its done correctly?
    Thanks again.

gmahler

He said something about using silver(?) to solder, maybe I don't have that right - but it was a low melting point solder. He said because of that they don't use nitrogen to flush either. From having asked a similar question before, I understand nitrogen purge is not as important as vacuuming. (BTW he will be using a NEW lineset) Also this is a guy who's been doing this for 20+ years and recommended by a good friend of mine..

[Edited by twilli3967 on 08-22-2005 at 09:16 PM]
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Originally posted by gmahler
    I'd say they happen to be stuck in their ways ,and their wrong.Go variable speed.

Originally posted by twilli3967
    gmahler

I'm about to accept a bid to put in an Am.Std Heritage 14 unit with a VS air handler. Then I read a comment that a pro posted on a forum that he saw sweating ducts and warping floors in a house with a VS handler. Due he said to the slow speed stage. My ducts are insulated with R-4, and do sweat currently on humid days. I nearly eliminated it by running a fan in the crawlspace pointed towards the vents. Question: Is this going to be worsened with a VS handler. How should I (installer) assess the current duct so I don't have this problem?

1. Mine is at least 13 yrs old maybe 15. Never been serviced (owners man. says fan motor should be oiled). Is this known as a long lasting unit or have I been lucky. It's matched with another brand of air handler twice as old. Still cooling fine though not efficiently. Is it living on borrowed time. Maybe some of you have worked with this.
    2. Do compressor failures give warning symptoms or do they just cool one day and die the next ?

gmahler

Does the 13 SEER Am.Std condenser come with Hi-Lo protection switches for the compressor? And a line drier?
    I saw an old message in the archives saying that they did not have the switches. THanks

gmahler

gmahler

redcell - did you service your Amana regularly. I ask because I have an ARHF30 series (see my other post) and I'm wondering how much longer it might run. It's about 15 years old.

gmahler

The fan motor is bolted directly to the top frame with exposed screws on the Goodman. I've looked at an American Standard and it, like my 11 year old Carrier has what looks like a hard plastic center piece and the mounting screws are under this not exposed. I'm not saying this is bad, but I just happen to like the other design better. About the sound blanket, I can only go by what the distributor said, he was very emphatic about it not having one. Maybe he was not showing me a 13 SEER CPLT, I asked to see one..

gmahler

I have a Carrier 38YR018320 installed with an air handler FK4BNF001 in 1994. Since I have no documentation on the unit, I have been searching the web and found that an 018-30 series matched with that air handler has a TDR-TXV (the outside unit label mentions a TXV) and is rated at 18,000 BTU and 11.05 SEER. However mine is a 018-32. Can anyone tell me what that last digit after the '3' implies? Thanks again.

gmahler

Interesting discussion, I'm going to get maint. on my 11 year old Carrier Tech 2000 (first time since install). What would I expect to pay for a Contactor (I guess it's OK to ask about a part..) if it needed one. Thanks.

gmahler

Remember I'm a HO trying to learn what is considered best practices in installing heat pumps. SO I have the following questions
    (1)an installer tells me that his HP comes charged for 50'. Since my lineset is going to be only 25', there's no need to run a vacuum. True? Wouldn't he have to let some ref. out to get the correct charge and in the process can moisture seep in?
    (2) when you do a PM and connect gauges to check pressures, does that process open the system to the atmosphere, assuming its done correctly?
    Thanks again.

gmahler

He said something about using silver(?) to solder, maybe I don't have that right - but it was a low melting point solder. He said because of that they don't use nitrogen to flush either. From having asked a similar question before, I understand nitrogen purge is not as important as vacuuming. (BTW he will be using a NEW lineset) Also this is a guy who's been doing this for 20+ years and recommended by a good friend of mine..

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......Troll?

gmahler

gmahler

gmahler

gmahler

gmahler

gmahler

gmahler

gmahler

Thanks again.

gmahler

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......Troll? He has some different equipment for sure!

To the geniuses like "twili" and "bob" who are trying to read something in my posts that isn't there read on:

Yes I am a confused HO who has a working HP that has a leaking air handler. I came here with the following questions in my mind: (1) should I keep what I have till it dies? (2) what should I buy. (3)Why are some people in the trade telling me that they don't observe standard practices. Are these important?

In the process I have gotten good advice from the likes of BaldLoonie and RoboTeq. (Try to grow up to be more like them). Yes I did pick a system finally but the dealer has not followed up on my acceptance so I'm looking again.

Why you took all the trouble to ferret out all my posts to try to prove some nonexistent fact I will never know. I guess you have idle time on your hands.

Where in the world did you get the notion that I HAVE all this different equipment.

I think this site was created to help people like me if I read the charter right. You don't fit the bill..

I think the fact that we answer posts,is a sign of a passion for a trade we love and like our cars and sports teams it gets carried through.I have a 1966 GTO and I think it is a GREAT CAR, but the Ford and Chevy and Mopar guys think otherwise and let me know. Please NO GOAT bashing.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

I wonder why a dealer came out gave you a bid and won't call you back.

Lets vote.

How many of you/us go to the trouble to give a bid and have the customer accept and won't call them back?

I vote I would immediately call someone back wanting to spend money....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I vote I would immediately call someone back wanting to spend money....

So would I...........But maybe the other guy thought the job was not worth his time or he did not have enough money in the job or for some reason that we are not aware of, he just did not want the job..............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast