If I was to measure my abilities , experience and know how about this trade against all the guys I have come into contact with and that I have true respect for in the industry, I feel really small.

Then I take into account all the others I have worked with. How many of you guys, know a few guys, thast think there really good mechanics but they really are not.? How do these kinds of people get created?

I worked a job once where I was doing grocery work, and the bulk of the technicians did not truly know what a full column of liquid was or what to measure it by, such as subcooling. These same category of people, would look at frost on a copper pipe suction and automatically think it was flooding, even though the Saturated Suction Temperature might be -30 degrees. You guys around here think this is silly stuff. But I know I have run with men who did not know these basic things. And somehow they get through a day, a month, a year.

I use to get real pissed off about that. Here I am killing myself, and I don't make the coin or I am not in the favor of my boss when the idiots get all the breaks.

I wish to hell I get to be a bigger shop and really do some cool refrigeration stuff. I love it. I think it will be awesome to sit back at 50 and say. "Yeagh, the company I built from scratch built all those cold storage warehouses".

But. I don't know how the hell I will get there with the bulk of what technicians are out there right now. I just wish I could sit down with an already self made guy and have him tell me exactly how he pulled it off.

D's

There isn't a blueprint for that, YOU have to blaze your own trail.......... good luck, I hope you can. There are many pitfalls out there also.

Time will tell.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

I know 5 and 10 man shops that could not properly diagnose a draft inducer on a pack unit if all of them showed up on the job. They make a fortune and I go and fix the problem and never hear back from them. For some reason they think its better to call the big shops first.

If you ever figure out how to be good at your job, be honest and make the big bucks, Please fill me in on the secret.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

one man shops do do that type of work.

one man shops dont grow up. usually.

one man can only do was a quarter of a mechanic can do. Cause he is too busy with wearing all the hats which the business requires of them.

Marketing drives sales. Marketing has to do the plan by which the company will seek customers.
    And until Sales has done it's job, there is no work tobe had.
    Then there is the Estimator. The man in the field who is a salesman, mechanic, engineer, bookkeeper, all rolled into one neat package.

All of these tasks, plus more, have to be delegated out to other people who are worthy of the position.

Few of us here are all around guys.
    Most of us are mechanics.
    Few salesmen and even fewer business majors.

Sales comes more naturally to us mechanics than does the business end of things.

So it is best to delegate that out to someone who has been there/ done that.
    That free's us up to do what we are good at.

You wana grow the business up to that level? Great. More power to ya.

But your gonna need to get a business manager AND a sales pro in there.

Even with a paperless office, like you have right now ... you still have plenty going on in your company. Even though you are not as big, staff-wise, as you once were.

Bob,

I don't want to be big "time". I know shops who are 5 man strong, traveling the world doing neat stuff doing 5 mill a year. I want to know what I got to do to do that. I aint about having 50 trucks on the road. My god, that gives me the willies just thinking about it. I see myself as doing like a cold storage warehouse about every 2 years with a crew of 8. I do the engineering in house, all design build work, right from Canton MI. Do you realize how many guys could actually explain what you need to do to a floor for a cement slab warehouse freezer. Like ten. It's what I am saying. I want to do weird stuff. I need talent, that is not out there it seems. Am I worng. Am, I imagining this?

If you want to do industrial low temp refrigeration, you need one guy that really understands the systems and how to pipe them up. This person needs to be able to explain things to the other seven guys(who need to be good welders and fitters and hard workers). Are you working with nh3?

I've done Ammonia but not for myself. Not construction I should say.

I guess I am saying is, I really want to get into work that is more exclusive to guys you and I both know, It doesn't have to be Ammonia neccesarily.

[Edited by Dowadudda on 08-20-2005 at 06:01 PM]

Originally posted by Dowadudda

I just wish I could sit down with an already self made guy and have him tell me exactly how he pulled it off.
    Me Too!!!!

When I was your age I worked for years on an ice machine design that I had in my head. I applied for a government grant to develope it. Which I did not get. Worked for hours on this darn thing. I did make a working model. It did make ice. Finally had to give it up.

Originally posted by Dowadudda

Then I take into account all the others I have worked with. How many of you guys, know a few guys, thast think there really good mechanics but they really are not.? How do these kinds of people get created?
    I think this often has to do with the caliber of the techs surrounding them. If a place hires more than their share of dummies, the smartest one might still be slow by higher standards, even though he considered himself a genius.

If they gave a test at that company and graded it on a curve based on the aptitude of their employees, the smartest one would get an A+ even if he was really slow. If the boss is also slow it really gets pathetic. I've worked in places like that. It caused all of us to become content with our level of knowledge, and to stagnate.

Years ago I worked at a company like that for over 10 years. Then I started my own business, confident that I knew it all because I knew more than my old co-workers. I kept that mindset for a couple of decades until I came here and realized that I was an idiot compared to many of those here. Every day since then I've studied harder and asked more questions even if they made me look stupid. Ego isn't as important to me as knowledge.

I think this site has done more to educate the people of our industry than any other single source. At least it exposes them to people who are truly at the top of their game, not just at that level in their own minds.

So if you're a shining star in this place, you're really smart.

If you're a dummy here, you could still be a genius where you work

Yes, I too am top dog in my area - As I'm the only fridgee in our company - save for two excellent apprentices. But on here... I have my place somewhere in the middle of the pack. I'm giving myself a little credit there - although haven't actually substantiated my place. But I learn TONS with these cats.

Knowledge, heart, attitude. And a little coin - can get you all you seek Dow - especially if you are young enough to be able to put in another 20 + years on your venture.

Look for some charasmatic buisness person with financial ability - merge your talents - and specialize.

Just never forget us little guys.... K?
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

we are all by-products of our enviroment. if those around us are a little less or have less answers or produce less, just all around are less than we think more of ourselves.

i would say that those that think too much of themselves have little or narrow experience, and have not been doing it long enough.

my first boss tought me well, but he also always had answers that told me exactly what i did'nt know. And thank god for my upbringing cause with it i was able to spot those situations that should have been done differently, rather than placate blame for misfortune elsewhere

Ditto midhvac

Learned a lot here also. I get ribbed for info I spit out to people who ask me questions and look at their job as 8-5. Try telling them to come here and learn, (forget it) is what I hear. Dow - just keep pluging away and get your name out there.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back