Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

why insult yore own industry?

Originally posted by twilli3967
    Please, it's not brain surgery.
    I don't know about you, twilli, but I don't think the DIY

invests in ongoing training to keep up with current HVAC developments.

Nor do I think he can pass the state Exam for an unlimited

mechanical license.

It's sounds insulting to me when you say "ITS NOT BRAIN SURGERY.' What's worse I think you are belittling those of us who have devoted a life time to improving our skills to the their fullest.

Does a DIY know what THE MONTREAL PROTOCAL is? Can he tell you why it was passed? No, but WE PROFESSIONALS do. We must.

Threr are dozens of reasons that seperate us from DIYs.

It reads like you have a low esteem for the very profession you've chosen to pursue if you think it is so simple.

Been at it over twenty years and I still don't know everthing.

Your credentials say you are in Toledo, I am just up I 75 from you.

Please do not put down those of us who have dedicated their entire beings to this great line of work with remarks
    that elevate "know it all" DIYs above those of us who are good at what they do.

By the way, do you carry a Michigan mechanical card?

By the way, do you carry a Michigan mechanical card?

Yes.

My post was really only to the alarmist attitude in the OP. Really don't most of us tackle things that we don't know a lot about around our on home. My post was not intended to indicate that it took no training or skill.

Just simply that a guy with a little mechanical ability a little electrical skill could attempt to repair his "own" equpiment, why not, it "his".

I never give homeowner or diyer's instructions, but I do observe many pro members that do.

No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

original quote from Twilli
    My post was really only to the alarmist attitude in the OP.

My only real concern is for the safety of the home owner. As I stated before, I have not that I know of, ever serviced a unit from any home owner here. Most real professionals try their best to provide a safe working enviroment for their customers and themselves. That is all I am portraying here.

[The automobile forum is on the other side of the internet]

[Edited by lusker on 08-21-2005 at 04:51 PM]

To jaeme911.

I myself cannot sit here and say I have not had previous "issues" with DIY'ers on this site. But to clarify this statement, The only ones I have taken issues with are the ones who came looking for ammunition to present to their contractor for a refund or a chance to scam the installers. In my business we see it a lot more than people would imagine. Many come here, (I will not mention any names because I don't want a flame war here) armed with just enough information to hurt themselves or others. Everyone here has to make a living and money is what makes us all go into hot attics and spend time in horrible conditions to feed our children. It is the fruit of our labor as was said before. I'll go out on a limb here and say this to you. If you can fix your own unit, then I applaud you. Many here cannot, and are risking their lives doing so. I said it once and will say it again. To any home owners out there. Call a professional tech to repair your HVAC system. It's well worth the money to have it done right.

[Edited by ravenx on 08-22-2005 at 10:16 AM]

I agree with the original post, 99.99% of home owner should not attempt to service his HVAC system other than to replace the filters. I have an EE degree and understand all the electrical and mechanical workings of the system. The most I would ever attempt would be to replace the condenser fan motor and capacitor if needed. I would never attempt to replace a compressor, condenser, etc. They are part of a closed system that requires training and special tools.

This site has been very helpful in educating the home owner on how an HVAC system works and how to pick a good contractor. It is not a DIY site. If a homeowner is serious about servicing his own system, signup for a course at a local trade school and get your certification. The least you would get out of the course is an appreciation of knowledge required to service your HVAC system.

Thanks homeownerx,

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Here is another thing to consider,
    I had a gentleman call me this morning asking for the cost of an estimate for replacing his existing HVAC system. I told him the estimate was free. He then stated that as a condition of me getting the install, He would supply the unit. Folks, the manufacturer's will not warranty your new system if you buy it over the net, or have a friend of a friend buy it for you. All manufacturers will void the warranty if not purchased and installed by a liscensed contractor. You are not saving money doing this. You will not have a warranty if the system breaks, and you will have a hard time finding anyone reputable to fix it.

Homeoweners just because u pick up an hvac book at bookstore and read it doesnt make u a tech bookwork is onlypart of our training most of what we learn is from ON THE JOB where we see the problem and understand what caused it as some of you will say if the tech knew what he was doing every homeowner assumes that a tech never makes a mistake or misses something when doing troubleshooting of unit not everyone is prefect to you think someone can walk in and do you job and say IFIXED yes some repairs are easier than others but asking for us to give you info on how to fix it is against forum rukles so if u a/c not working save yourself some trouble call a pro

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=57343

Guys get a grip, people get diy information all the time on the residentail forum, against the rules I might add. A very simple solution is not too respond to these requests. In fact go to the pro forum and you will often see diy information that seems somewhat suspect, looking at some of the questions that are asked. I know we all have to start somewhere.

I just don't get the "sky is falling because some hownowner wants to try and repair his equipment". We really have much bigger problems in our industry than homeowners. Most of the time the enemy is us.

Guys that go in and out of business, guys that operate out of the back of station wagons, low ballers, unlicensed/unskilled contractors, suppy houses that sell to anyone, the internet sellers of equipment and parts.

Calm down, let em try and fix it, if sucessful great, if not I have a full page yellow page add waitng for there call. If they get hurt emergency rooms are open 24hrs a day, if they get killed post it here to scare all the other would be hvac DIYERS.

Really.........its not rocket science.

Originally posted by twilli3967
    Please, it's not brain surgery.
    It may not be brain surgery but if your not careful with what your doing you may end up needing it.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Ok ok ok I agree you can get hurt working on HVAC equipment, You can also get "carple tunnel syndrome" from typing to much. I may not have spelled that right, so please hire a pro to type these messages so you'll be free to service HVAC systems.

r

Have any HVAC techs had residential warranty claims denied based upon the lack of homeowner "normal" maintenance of the AC unit?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast