Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 54
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,516

    Wink

    here it all the time. it wontldnt come on so i put this two wires together and smelled something burning. i go inside. look the transformer is all black. yes i can put the smike backe in not to worrie. i thought it was the circut board and changed so wires. well it is now. the fan wont turn so i had my kid push it with a stick(this was the dumbest think i ever heard) call difes. can you tell me if it is this. sure i can but it probably isnt. do you know what my pressures should be. sure i do but i am probably wrong. can a capacitor sap you with the power off yes and it can aslo kill you with the power off and so on
    if you have to come here or anywhere and ask how do i fix this. leave it alone because and addvise you get will be guessing and in most cases wont fix anything. with ac and or heat there are to many differant factors and varitables involved and if someone is touching something and dont have a clue they can get hurt or killed. there are a lot of things a homeowner can and should do for them selves and i also commend anyof them the for doing so. but as with any thing know your limits and show common sense
    raven i think this is one of the best addvise giving treads i have see in a while

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45
    I've been diagnosing & repairing my a/c as well as assisting family for about 5 years now without a problem repairing it myself except on two occasions:

    1. Five years ago when I bought my house and had an AC problem and the HCAV tech claimed I needed a $5k new system to repair it (this is when I decided to DIY);

    2.When I was out of town and the HVAC tech tried to charge my fiance $325 to diagnose & change a freakin' capacitor.

    Even the guys at the local AC shop know me & I have an accnt with them(they think I'm an HVAC guy). lol

    Originally posted by ravenx
    Originally posted by drk
    Come on guys! Most people with some mechanical ability will try to fix it themselves and I commend them for this! If they can fix it them self and can save some money I say go for it.
    Drk, the key word here is try. Armed with some mechanical ability, A person can know just enough to be dangerous to themselves or others. I do not mean this as negative comment. I know your going to find this hard to believe, what with the present trend in DIY. I commend any home owner on repairing things they know how to fix. Any one with good common sense, knows that high voltage equipment is better left to someone trained to repair it.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,121
    Originally posted by jaeme911
    I've been diagnosing & repairing my a/c as well as assisting family for about 5 years now without a problem repairing it myself except on two occasions:
    Are you condoning a/c repair for every HO to at least try or what? I would like to perform my on surgury also would save me a few dollars do you condone that also? The risk could be about the same right?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45
    Not at all. What I am saying though is that it is not rocket science. Would I replace an entire system - probably not as long as I could find a competant-reputable tech.

    There are risks to everything in life. There is a 1 in 10,000 chance of dying from falling from a ladder. Does this mean you do not use a ladder? Of course not. It means you use caution when using one.



    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by jaeme911
    I've been diagnosing & repairing my a/c as well as assisting family for about 5 years now without a problem repairing it myself except on two occasions:
    Are you condoning a/c repair for every HO to at least try or what? I would like to perform my on surgury also would save me a few dollars do you condone that also? The risk could be about the same right?

  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,274
    I get so disgusted when I continue to hear this phrase. It is not rocket science What is not rocket science… how about everything except rocket science.

    OK… is your job rocket science? Now throw in electronics, electro mechanical, hydro mechanical, hydraulics, refrigerant latent absorption, evaporation, simple mechanical, low and high voltage mechanics and codes, air flow balancing, duct sizing, heat gain and loss mechanics… do you get my meaning here??

    So the next time your heat goes out and you find yourself fumbling in the dark … go ahead… strike that match or it’s OK, go ahead to grab that loose wire and twist it together and close your eyes when you turn it on…. we are rocket scientists in our profession and we know when it is safe to flip the switch.

    Yep, there are guys like you that get lucky and do a great job keeping your system running. There will come a time when you will need a poor slob like us to come and pull your tally whacker out of a ditch ‘cause your tried your hand at it first. We see it every day and just salivate over the bill. Yep, the ‘ol college fund is growing nicely because of DIY’ers and rocket science.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45
    Face it, there will be DIYers in every field (except maybe rocket science - lol).

    What I find difficult to understand is why it bothers you so much. You claim that DIYers make you a lot more money since they screw things up and you spend much more time trying to repair their botched attempts. Do you have a problem with making more money and just hate to see people wasting their money paying you extra?

    Or could it be that you know that there are many people, like myself, who are able to DIY. Hmm, you might want to change your stance. :-)


    Originally posted by lusker
    I get so disgusted when I continue to hear this phrase. It is not rocket science What is not rocket science… how about everything except rocket science.

    OK… is your job rocket science? Now throw in electronics, electro mechanical, hydro mechanical, hydraulics, refrigerant latent absorption, evaporation, simple mechanical, low and high voltage mechanics and codes, air flow balancing, duct sizing, heat gain and loss mechanics… do you get my meaning here??

    So the next time your heat goes out and you find yourself fumbling in the dark … go ahead… strike that match or it’s OK, go ahead to grab that loose wire and twist it together and close your eyes when you turn it on…. we are rocket scientists in our profession and we know when it is safe to flip the switch.

    Yep, there are guys like you that get lucky and do a great job keeping your system running. There will come a time when you will need a poor slob like us to come and pull your tally whacker out of a ditch ‘cause your tried your hand at it first. We see it every day and just salivate over the bill. Yep, the ‘ol college fund is growing nicely because of DIY’ers and rocket science.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,274
    Because you are having the same problem as so many of us do here on the internet. You can't read me or my intentions. You are only reading cold type and inserting your subconscious patterns.

    My motivation is not money...money is the fruit of my labor . My motivation is the safety of others and what may happen when a DIY'er twists the wires together or lights that match and burns the house down with his kids in side...

    I am not a person that is money motivated but a giver of myself and my time. Unfortunately it also makes me a big hearted sap and an s o b when I see crap like this...

    LOL

    You sir may be a diamond in the rough. You sir may be able to fix anything. You sir may kill someone tonight by your post here this morning.

    All I ask is… Forum Rules and be cognoscente and sensitive to the fact that thousands of people are reading what you are typing.

    This is not a DIY site


    Thank you and enjoy your time here.

    Lusker
    Your HVAC-Talk Site Associate
    Forum Rules








  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45
    I am not giving out DIY advice so I don't thiink the rules are being violated but thanks for the link.

    Hmm, you are "not money motivated?" Didn't you just say this a couple of posts above "We it every day and just salivate over the bill. Yep, the ‘ol college fund is growing nicely because of DIY’ers and rocket science."

    And why do I think that if I searched some of your old posts that I would find you joking about DIYers injuring themselves.

    Look, I'm not condoning all homeowners DIY. But to say that no one can DIY is ridiculous and it is evident where your motivations are coming from.

    Lets just put an end to this.

    lusker [/i]
    Because you are having the same problem as so many of us do here on the internet. You can't read me or my intentions. You are only reading cold type and inserting your subconscious patterns.

    My motivation is not money...money is the fruit of my labor . My motivation is the safety of others and what may happen when a DIY'er twists the wires together or lights that match and burns the house down with his kids in side...

    I am not a person that is money motivated but a giver of myself and my time. Unfortunately it also makes me a big hearted sap and an s o b when I see crap like this...

    LOL

    You sir may be a diamond in the rough. You sir may be able to fix anything. You sir may kill someone tonight by your post here this morning.

    All I ask is… Forum Rules and be cognoscente and sensitive to the fact that thousands of people are reading what you are typing.

    This is not a DIY site


    Thank you and enjoy your time here.

    Lusker
    Your HVAC-Talk Site Associate
    Forum Rules







    [/QUOTE]

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,516
    i totaly agree with luster
    no i dont have a problem with someone compatent enough to do thier own repairs. this is not what anyone is talking about and you seem to be one of these people. at the same time to addvise or to encourage ao rocket scienitist to do thier on repairs is not a good idea. no this is not rocket science but it can blast off if some one does the rong thing to it.as far as fixing thier mistakes yes i think it is dumb to pay two or three time the ammount for what should have been a simple repair. and just for the record 1 out of 10 techs is incompetant so the odds are in the homeowners favor. to say all you can find is guys that dont know what thier are doing isnt fair to the rest of us thatmaybe do know. but then again after 35 years we are still learning.i have seen in here and other places maybe not in your case where it isnt incopetance but it is not what the homeowner wants to hear. there is a differance and to blame the techs compatency or to keep calling guys out till you here what you want isnt the techs fault
    if you can do your own repairs this is good and when you come acroos something you have trouble with i am sure you will get the help you need as long as you sound like you know what is being said get my drift on this

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45
    For the most part I agree with you. And the incompetency/scammers aren't limited to HVAC.

    I bought 4 tires for my Porsche and was quoted $70 to mount/balance them. When I went later to pick up the car they tried to charge $275 stating that there was a surcharge since I didn't buy the tires through there shop.

    So then I stopped taking my cars to repair shops and bought a lift for my garage.

    Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    i totaly agree with luster
    no i dont have a problem with someone compatent enough to do thier own repairs. this is not what anyone is talking about and you seem to be one of these people. at the same time to addvise or to encourage ao rocket scienitist to do thier on repairs is not a good idea. no this is not rocket science but it can blast off if some one does the rong thing to it.as far as fixing thier mistakes yes i think it is dumb to pay two or three time the ammount for what should have been a simple repair. and just for the record 1 out of 10 techs is incompetant so the odds are in the homeowners favor. to say all you can find is guys that dont know what thier are doing isnt fair to the rest of us thatmaybe do know. but then again after 35 years we are still learning.i have seen in here and other places maybe not in your case where it isnt incopetance but it is not what the homeowner wants to hear. there is a differance and to blame the techs compatency or to keep calling guys out till you here what you want isnt the techs fault
    if you can do your own repairs this is good and when you come acroos something you have trouble with i am sure you will get the help you need as long as you sound like you know what is being said get my drift on this

  11. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12,274
    Originally posted by jaeme911

    Hmm, you are "not money motivated?" Didn't you just say this a couple of posts above "We it every day and just salivate over the bill. Yep, the ‘ol college fund is growing nicely because of DIY’ers and rocket science."

    And why do I think that if I searched some of your old posts that I would find you joking about DIYers injuring themselves.

    Look, I'm not condoning all homeowners DIY. But to say that no one can DIY is ridiculous and it is evident where your motivations are coming from.

    Lets just put an end to this.
    Yes, I agree we need to put an end to this. Maybe this will help you to understand and if not it will still be my final reply.

    1. I didn't say I didn't like money. I said it doesn't motivate me. Will I cash your check... Yep, in one big hurry too but with my company it will be a fair rate for a great job well done.

    2. Do all the searches you want... I don't think you have to search because you are not new to this forum. If you find any DIY bashing from me then they needed a good spanking. I suggest you find and read the complete threads.

    You sir have no idea where my motivations are coming from and I resent any implications of the fact that you do.

    Speech over, I am done with this.


  12. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,121
    Originally posted by lusker
    My motivation is not money...money is the fruit of my labor.
    Hey I like that can I use that in my signature?
    Just kidding, but your statement should be the attitude this whole Country should have.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    11,808
    Originally posted by lusker
    I get so disgusted when I continue to hear this phrase. It is not rocket science What is not rocket science… how about everything except rocket science.

    OK… is your job rocket science? Now throw in electronics, electro mechanical, hydro mechanical, hydraulics, refrigerant latent absorption, evaporation, simple mechanical, low and high voltage mechanics and codes, air flow balancing, duct sizing, heat gain and loss mechanics… do you get my meaning here??

    So the next time your heat goes out and you find yourself fumbling in the dark … go ahead… strike that match or it’s OK, go ahead to grab that loose wire and twist it together and close your eyes when you turn it on…. we are rocket scientists in our profession and we know when it is safe to flip the switch.

    Yep, there are guys like you that get lucky and do a great job keeping your system running. There will come a time when you will need a poor slob like us to come and pull your tally whacker out of a ditch ‘cause your tried your hand at it first. We see it every day and just salivate over the bill. Yep, the ‘ol college fund is growing nicely because of DIY’ers and rocket science.
    Yep, the old rocket science one. You hear the one about how many rocket scientists it takes to size a filter?

    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

    http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event