CH 531 and a solid state starter....fun,fun,fun.

Talking CH 531 and a solid state starter....fun,fun,fun.

so, here's the deal. existing ch531, just upgraded to an aftermarket soft starter. easy right? well im confused because the starter does not respond quick enough and i get a phase loss fault....? anybody had this issue? is it a software parameter change or something different. thanks in advance, B67

Don't know if it's the same thing. It happened a number of years ago. Customers process chiller was down with a failed Cutler Hammer soft starter. No backup chiller. Trane part was 2 weeks out. Customer ordered it directly from Cutler Hammer and had Trane install it. It would not work because ch530 was looking for a certain contact closure from the starter. The Trane part worked differently in that the contact closure was reversed, NO or NC I can't remember. Anyhow we waited for Trane starter and it worked fine. There could be a work around if that is the problem. Was the drive set up to Trane specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Billymon67 View Post
    so, here's the deal. existing ch531, just upgraded to an aftermarket soft starter. easy right? well im confused because the starter does not respond quick enough and i get a phase loss fault....? anybody had this issue? is it a software parameter change or something different. thanks in advance, B67
    Not enough info. I'm assuming your working on a CTV. What type of soft starter did it have? Cutler Hammer IT starter? What did you go back with? Did you take out a T801 and go back with a S801 or S811?

Are you saying it doesn't even start to ramp up before it trips or it trips after the compressor has started, If this is the case change the ramp time to 10 seconds.

CH531 is looking for amp draw within a set amount of milliseconds.....can't remember number but you can get a Trane guy out there and have them install a new program via Kestrelview. Had to so the same when we put a CH531 on an old York OT.
    We aren't service engineers, we are service re-engineers!! Work is what you make it, have fun.....