Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Originally posted by NormChris

A duct slide rule is worthless when you have used rules of thumb to determine the load.

I was trying to find out how this guy has been doing things.

It is also useless to use one for a fictitious friction rate that has never been estimated.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

how should i be sizing my systems,i was feeling quite sophisticated before i came to this website.how can they be working properly if i'm not installing them correctly?

what is going to happen!!!!!!!

please,thrill me with your hvac solutions

Originally posted by davidr
    Originally posted by NormChris

A duct slide rule is worthless when you have used rules of thumb to determine the load.

I was trying to find out how this guy has been doing things.

It is also useless to use one for a fictitious friction rate that has never been estimated.
    You are correct davidr. My guess is that over 60% of all systems installed were sized by some rule of thumb. When a real tech takes a careful look at these systems they are full of problems to some degree or another.

Few homeowners realize that they have been had by hacks. Homeowners think of their heating and cooling systems as something they can't understand and they have no idea how much better the system could work or how much less their utility bill could be.

it's very quiet here

If you are looking for a froum to argue on, you found it! If you are looking for information,which is abundant here, slow down and benefit from it. There are people here that know more than I will ever have time to learn and they are happy to share that info, but they can tear you to shreds just the same.

Heat loss/gain ACCA Manual J

Duct sizing ACCA Manual D

If you have never tested any of the duct systems you have installed there is no way of knowing what they are actually doing.

You could start by learning to measure static pressure.
    It will let you know how much air the fan is moving if you have the fan performance data for the equipment you are testing.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

udarrell
    Professional Member

Thanks for the info on your site. I have been in commercial refrigeration and HVAC for 10+ years and i just this week got a static pressur gauge to help me with troubleshooting airflow and capacity problems.

I have been awakened as to the importence of airflow, i always believed in TXVs.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Originally posted by mrgreen
    how should i be sizing my systems,i was feeling quite sophisticated before i came to this website.how can they be working properly if i'm not installing them correctly?

Read the link I posted. Homeowners usually don't complain because they have no idea how much better their system could work as opposed to how it is working.

If you don't realize what a correctly sized and installed system is like then how should they be expected to?

Bottom line is the size, application and installation is far, far, more important than the brand!!!!!!

Rather than ask what brand is best or knocking a particular brand, you should be learning what constitutes a correctly sized, applied and installed system.

Your original "Goodman is crap" qualifies you as a low rent, uneducated technician. That is way too common in our industry.

i dont have issues with installs.i have issues with certain equipment.my issues must be unique to my area.i was looking for outside opinion.most techs in this area are of the same opinoin as far as GOODMAN is concerned.They are viewed as LOW end equipment.

as far as education goes,we learn by doing.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast