+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hs36 Ac voltage accuracy

Post Likes

Hs36 Ac voltage accuracy

Hello all, I just picked up a fieldpiece hs36 multimeter. It looks pretty cool and I like all the features. I just got a question about it for anyone who owns fieldpiece. Is it normal for the meter not to be at zero when you set it to ac voltage? Without the leads being in contact with anything it shows a voltage between 2.3 and 2.9v or so. It seems to have some kinda delay or needs calibration. I had a fluke 116 before which seemed really accurate.

I would appreciate some input. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by moenaboulsi View Post
    Hello all, I just picked up a fieldpiece hs36 multimeter. It looks pretty cool and I like all the features. I just got a question about it for anyone who owns fieldpiece. Is it normal for the meter not to be at zero when you set it to ac voltage? Without the leads being in contact with anything it shows a voltage between 2.3 and 2.9v or so. It seems to have some kinda delay or needs calibration. I had a fluke 116 before which seemed really accurate.

I would appreciate some input. Thanks
    The HS36 is a slow responding meter. However, the 2 or 3 volts you're seeing is probably just stray voltage in the air that the meter is picking up. If you short the leads together that reading should disappear.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    The HS36 is a slow responding meter. However, the 2 or 3 volts you're seeing is probably just stray voltage in the air that the meter is picking up. If you short the leads together that reading should disappear.
    Thanks for the info, I'll try shorting out the leads and see what happens, it's hard to adjust to a slow responding meter like that coming from a fluke. Overall meter looks really good.

Post Likes
    Not really any difference when you short the leads. I mean the measurements are accurate when your testing, but when on stand by the numbers are all over the place when you move the leads around, it jumps between 2 and 80v or so when they're being moved. Kinda throws you offer track

Post Likes
    Millivolts?
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Millivolts?
    Vac

Post Likes
    Should have stick with the fluke. Ok seriously tho. I think if you look at the display you'll see mv somewhere. Your not reading v. The higher end flukes do it to. Are the numbers bouncing around a lot?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Vac? See the little m
    Always here

Post Likes
    Vac? See the little m
    You got your question mark in the wrong place. I had to read it twice.

OP, the HS36 is an autoranging meter. That little m is hard to see sometimes, especially if you're not looking for it.

Post Likes
    You got your question mark in the wrong place. I had to read it twice.

OP, the HS36 is an autoranging meter. That little m is hard to see sometimes, especially if you're not looking for it.
    Yeah wish it had manual range also, thats only thing i dont really like about mine but id find something i dont like with just about all of them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Should have stick with the fluke. Ok seriously tho. I think if you look at the display you'll see mv somewhere. Your not reading v. The higher end flukes do it to. Are the numbers bouncing around a lot?
    The display says AC on the top left, and just "m" on the center bottom. Iam sure it's set on ac volts because I get 120v on a receptacle. It bounced around quite a bit when the meter and leads are moving around

Post Likes
    Vac? See the little m
    Maybe your right mine looks exactly luke yours when it's standing. I reads 1.8. With the ac and m on the screen. What's Does that mean?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by moenaboulsi View Post
    Maybe your right mine looks exactly luke yours when it's standing. I reads 1.8. With the ac and m on the screen. What's Does that mean?
    its very sensitive

Post Likes
    The HS36 is an auto ranging meter and is very accurate. For this reason, when you switch to a position on the meter that auto ranges, you’re likely to see movement on the display. For example, when the dial is turned to VAC the meter will drop to the millivolts range and you’ll see an “m” on the bottom of the LCD signifying a millivolt reading. The meter is picking up very low transient voltages in the air. Close the circuit by touching the leads together away from a voltage source. You’ll see the meter zero or a very small, stable millivolt reading.
    From FP website--

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by youngtech View Post
    The HS36 is an auto ranging meter and is very accurate. For this reason, when you switch to a position on the meter that auto ranges, you’re likely to see movement on the display. For example, when the dial is turned to VAC the meter will drop to the millivolts range and you’ll see an “m” on the bottom of the LCD signifying a millivolt reading. The meter is picking up very low transient voltages in the air. Close the circuit by touching the leads together away from a voltage source. You’ll see the meter zero or a very small, stable millivolt reading.
    From FP website--

Makes a lotta sense. Thank you

Post Likes
    Yes 100% normal and it is millivolts being picked up from the air. The fluke does not do this as it is not auto ranging. The HS36 starts in mv to start. Will be a little bit of a learning curb but you will get the hang of it. Moe if you have any questions just PM Russell Harju and he has all the answers. cheers
    You're Only As Good As Your Last Service Call or Install.....Make it Count!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in