Smile KMD/KMC Next Generation /KMC BacNet/ What are Differences ?

Hello All,

I was hoping someone could help shed some light on a few question regarding the KMC / KMD product line and the Reliable Controls connection history. I have a new customer to service who has several KMD controlled AHU’s and Vav’s. I will be making my first site visit next week. My responsibility will be to service the KMD product and overtime replace it with LynxSprings Green (KMC) BacNet line. What are the differences between the KMC/ KMD and KMC Bacnet Control Basic programming language and configuration tools? I have currently only been able to secure training on the LynxSprings Green (KMC) BacNet line would this help with the earlier product lines? I have worked with other Basic line code products, mainly Siemens PPCL(6years) some Reliable controls basic (1year) and Distech controls Free Programmables(1year).From what I have seen the KMC basic looks similar to Siemens PPCL and Reliable programming. I would greatly appreciate if anyone out there has any KMD programming guides and or Tech documentation on KMD Vav and programmable controllers that they would be willing to share.

Thanks in advance.
    Debug

The control Basic programming language is pretty much the same between KMD (KMC legacy proprietary line) and their BACnet line. Most of the differences are BACnet related, for example there is no priority array. That said the Building controller BAC-1616 and some of the newer panels are using what they call "next generation" Control Basic. It is still pretty much the same, just a few syntac changes and the ability to use local variables etc.

Accessing/programming controllers uses a program called BACstage, whereas the KMD line uses a program called WinControl.

They have a new program called Total Control Design Studio, which you can access both KMD and BACnet, but programming with it is a major pain in the ass. You have to progam mneumonically (no variable names, just AI1 and AV20 etc.).

I have not been around long enough to know the exact details or the politics between Reliable and KMC, but I do know that if you find an old KMD board and an old Reliable board they are pretty much identical. I believe that Reliable was formed by and old KMC partner/engineer?

As for a KMD programming guide, once you have WinControl the help menu is pretty much self expanitory.

Similarity between the earlier KMC / RELIABLE products was that they shared a lot of the design and KMC did the manufacturing. Went seperate ways in mid to late 90's

Boolean and Control Man thanks for your input!
    Debug