Thanks for the replies on my first automotive A/C question. I now have my wife's car charged correctly and it's blowing air in the cabin at 40 degrees. And as we all know... Happy Wife = Quiet Life.

New topic... I am about to install a new engine in an old truck. Originally it was R-12 but the P/O converted it to R134 using an Interdynamics kit, so there is probably some R12 still in there with the 134. My kit is all 134 stuff.

Two questions:

1) I need to recover the refrigerant so I can remove the condenser for installing the engine. I don't want to vent it, obviously, but I also don't want to contaminate my 134 tank with 12. I was planning on recovering the refrigerant into 3 12oz 134 cans using dry ice, and weighing the cans to ensure I don't exceed 12oz liquid in each can, then take the cans to an approved recycler. Is this safe to do, or would I be better buying a second recovery tank for the contaminated mix? Seems like a waste to spend $60-100 on a new tank just to hold the contaminated refrigerant long enough to recycle it...

2) When it comes time to flush, evac and recharge the system, is there anything I can do to improve the cooling performance? I've heard the 134 doesn't perform well in an evap/condenser made for 12 because the 134 components have generally larger surface area etc... Are there diff size orifice tubes that I can select from, etc? Or am I stuck replacing the evap/cond (the whole system basically) for 134 stuff? (at which point I'm probably better converting back to 12!!)

Thanks all

[Edited by scruit on 08-18-2005 at 01:04 PM]

I had an R12 system converted to 134a in my black Mustang. Big mistake. It barely cooled the interior better than opening the windows in bright sunlight on hot days. I heard the conversion reduces the cooling capacity by about 20% but I may have pulled that number out of my butt.

If it was mine I would convert back to R12, or live without the A/C.

Originally posted by scruit
    Seems like a waste to spend $60-100 on a new tank just to hold the contaminated refrigerant long enough to recycle it...
    Then you need to visit your nearest URI distributor and get one of these.

You can read about it here.

Well maybe I was just Blessed with my conversion on my 86 Monte Carlo SS, but the vent temps and the performance of the 134A is just as good as the R-12 was, I like many was skeptical for years, try to keep the old R-12 system up and going as long as possible until all avenues were exhausted. I even hated to think about changing to an alternative the thought was scary. Well now that I did the conversion and did it by the book changed everything except the condenser and evap. just cleaned and cleaned and cleaned them both out very well, and to this day I wished I would have just done it years ago and saved myself all the frustration on trying to find R-12 and keep the old system going.
    Do many have the results I did? I don't know but my guess would be if they did the conversion properly yes they are very satified with the results. I will say if a person does want to change from R-12 to 134A take your time do it "properly" no short cuts ask any questions here if your not sure before you proceed, and you "will" see the fruits of your labor
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

After a comp change, the mechanic put 134a in my work car. Horrible. Buddy at ICOR gave me some Hot Shot and I had it put in instead, as good or better than the original R12 did. Maybe you were blessed or I was cursed!

Converted my 87 Bronco to 134. I changed all the o-rings, and pulled the compressor to drain the oil. Then poured the new oil in, evacuated and charged with 134. Been 6-7 years and it still out performs the r-12. Mabey I just got lucky also. Wouldn't consider a swap without o-ring replacement.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX

Just finished the recovery. Capacity of the truck is supposed to be 1.6lbs but I pulled 2 lbs out (net wt), so I guess it was overcharged before...

The dry ice technique worked like a charm. Dry ice and 91% isopropyl alcohol bath, dropped the empty 134 can in it and opened the valve. Kept shutting it off and weighing the can to make sure I didn't exceed 12oz net wt per can. I've marked those cans as contaminated/for recycling - just have to find some place to take them.

After the engine install I am gonna replace all the o-rings in the system and flush everything, fill the comp with PAG oil and start with a clean evac'd system for 134. Fingers crossed, I should get good cooling through it. It's an 87 bronco also.

Cost me $4 in dry ice and alchohol, and took about 20 mins.

Old Ford trucks, just gotta love em.

There is a good forum on them with lots of good info and how tos at Ford Truck Enthusiasts.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX

I do alot of automotive A/C

I will never do a R12 to 134A conversion again.I did my last one 7 years ago. I like the drop in Freeze-12 or Hotshot, same price as 134A. Reason being is that the moleucules that make up 134A are so small. The condencer in a R12 unit is too small. The exit of the condencer, before the orifice should be cool to the touch just like a residental unit. If not a new fan clutch or an additional condencer fan needs to be installed. R12 to 134A...not a good idea. Roy

Originally posted by jultzya
    Seems like a waste to spend $60-100 on a new tank just to hold the contaminated refrigerant long enough to recycle it...

Does anyone have a website that has all the URI distributor

Just use 409A and forget it.

Originally posted by jultzya

That,EZ one shot recovery cylinder is something I would like to get.
    I live in a small town.I buy alot of things online. I live about 200milesfron any town that has any hvac distributors.
    If any one has a online list of all the URI distributors it would realy be helpfull to me.Or a website that sells the EZ one shot recovery tank.
    >kerry spear