My wife is so upset over the electric bill she ordered me to buy us a generator.

Anyone here use one at home?

I thought a Whisper-Quiet would be nice. A small diesel.

Would that really be cheaper: burning gas or diesel over .11 per kw/h ?

Last year we were without power for a total of nearly five weeks due to Hurricanes Francis and Jeanne. We ran a 5500 watt generator just to power lighting, refrigerator, ceiling fans, well pump, TV.........no A/C or hot water.

The generator sucked up 4-5 gallons of gasoline a day running from 6 AM to 10 PM. Do the math.

I have a 5500 watt Coleman powered by a Honda OHV engine that I only use for power outages like during allison it was a real Blessing, I ran a 8000 btu window unit, two ceiling fans, two refrigs the one in the house and garage and a small color TV and small nuker and we was good to go. I have an external huge gas tank I made for it and I ran it for over 72 hours until the power came back on I will never forget that weekend.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Does anyone know of the efficiency of the natural gas operated fuel cells in regards to the higher price of natural gas, and high initial price of the unit?

Originally posted by icemeister
    Last year we were without power for a total of nearly five weeks due to Hurricanes Francis and Jeanne. We ran a 5500 watt generator just to power lighting, refrigerator, ceiling fans, well pump, TV.........no A/C or hot water.

The generator sucked up 4-5 gallons of gasoline a day running from 6 AM to 10 PM. Do the math.

yes, I did some checkingonline and oufnd out what some of these eat for fuel ... OUCH!!!

I better come up with another solution....

You ain't going to beat the power company when it comes to generating electricity with fossil fuel. Just think about. First off they don't pay taxes on the fuel they use.

They turn fossil fuels into controlable steam for turbines which minimizes heat lost. Plus they buy up every spare hydro electric,solar and wind power kw they can. And put that into the pool.

Get your wife a windmill and wire it in paralel with and exercise bike driven generator. That ought to land you in divorce court.

Originally posted by R12rules
    My wife is so upset over the electric bill she ordered me to buy us a generator.

Anyone here use one at home?

I thought a Whisper-Quiet would be nice. A small diesel.

Just out of curiosity, why is your bill so high? Is there anything that can be done to conserve? Energy costs will only go up, better look for solutions now.

A generator big enough to power your home will be cost prohibitive for most.

The Honda Cyclo-Converter generators are very fuel efficient. I can run mine (3 KW) at about half load for 8 hours on less than 2.5 gallons of gas.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

I gotta get me one of these!!

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Originally posted by gruntly
    I gotta get me one of these!!

Absolutely!! Did you see where a plan to put a farm of these off shore in Massachusettes? Everyone is out raged because you can see them. They would look about an inch tall on the horizon!!!!! SO WHAT!!!! FREE ENERGY!!! GET REAL!!!!

First step is the Federal Government has to pass a law making it illegal to deny a permit for a wind generator based on appearence. There is no smoke or pollution. Wind generators are potecting the economic futher for the coming generations. They are conserving our resouces for futher generations. Yes I would like to see one in my back yard. It would be better than seeing smoke coming out of my chimney.

I have a 5000W Master generator with a Honda engine. My wife bought it for Y2K. Reminded me to buy 20 Gallons of gas on New Years Eve just in case. She gave me the look. I figured it was safer to buy the gas and not need it than face her if we needed it and I didn't buy it.

The generator was a godsend 3 years later when a T-3 microburst took out all the trees on the corner where the main electrical feed enters my subdivision. Power was off for 3 days, but with the generator we had lights, computers, internet access, TV (cable didn't go out) and the refrigerators.

If I had it to do over again NOISE would be the major purchasing criteria. The generator I have is more of a contractor model so it's not so quiet as it could be. Ideally I'd get a natural gas powered generator and set it up PROPERLY with a transfer switch, auto switch over and regular cycling to keep the battery charged. Too much money for the number of powerless days we encounter here in Morris Count NJ. Ideally it would be big enough to run the AC, so when the powers off in July you arent sweltering.

Cheers

Jim

One thing I learned after last years two hurricanes and using generators is that when the whole area is without power and nearly everyone in your neighborhood has a generator running, the fact that you paid an extra $2-3000 for a quiet one doesn't really amount to much.

I went through a month without power after hurricane Ivan.

Got by on a 3500W honda generator. Running a few appliances, lights and ceiling fans I would go through about 5 gallons of gas a day.

I do not think an internal combustion generator will be less expensive to operate, it would be cheaper to buy from the elecrtrical utility.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/