Clean Room for producing Mushroom Spawn

Clean Room for producing Mushroom Spawn

I am planning on building a small clean room for producing mushroom spawn in Costa Rica. The clean room will be in the higher mountains at 8000 feet and has fairly constant temperature year around of between 55 degrees at night and up to 70 degrees in the day. Humidity outside is between 50% and 90%. The room size will be 15’x 10’ with 11’ceilings. There are also two spawn storage closets of 5’x4’. The room is being built with 6” Styrofoam walls with a plaster coating and should have an insulation value of R30 in the walls and floor and R40 in the ceiling. It should be very well sealed from the outside and has triple door entry. The room will have one or two persons working in it a few hours a day. There is a refrigerator, incubator, autoclave and other equipment that will product heat. The goal is to keep the laboratory at a temperature of between 70 and 80 degrees and an RH of between 35%-50%. It should be positive pressurized. All intake and recycled air should pass through HEPA filters. Both the workers and the mushroom spawn produce some CO2 that may need to be exchanged.

I’m trying to learn as much as I can before talking with a HVAC professional so that I can talk intelligently with them and also have a better idea if they know what they are doing (in other areas I’ve found that not all professionals are created equally).

Here are the things that I’m wondering. Can I get by without any heating and A/C, using the heat from the devices in the room to warm it and using outside air to keep it cool? Would I need to get an economizer such as the Honeywell Jade or something similar, or could I just assume that the outside air is cooler and use it when the temperature is to high? Will a small home style humidifier be enough to keep the humidity to the required levels? How much to I need to worry about CO2 levels?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most clean rooms bring in large amounts of outside air(100%) .You are in need of a controlled enviroment so yes a/c will be needed along with reheat, humidifier and exhaust system. Has a particle size been selected to base your filtration needs which would then be the base of the cleanroom classification. This will determine number of Hepa Filtration units needed. The size of refrigeration load is based on the people,product, heat from ovens and outdoor air temperature. Humidity will be calculated from product, people and outdoor air requirements. You may find that you really do not need a true cleanroom, but instead a room that is basically kept clean.In your situation altitude correction of all fan requirements also needs to be addressed.

ACWizard, Thanks so much for the info and help. You are correct, I don't think I need a clean room such as would be needed in a computer lab, hospital, etc, but just a room that can be kept very clean. Most my work will be done in front of a laminar flow hood, but having a room that is very clean, with positive pressure and air intake cleaned through a HEPA filter will help. When I took some courses at the local biological park, they didn't have a registered clean room, but just a room that they kept very clean and they have had great success. The pointer on altitude and fan size was great, something that hadn't crossed my mind.