New options with Unico System

Hello, I'm a first-time poster. We have an inherited large log home in southern Indiana. My parents installed a Unico system central AC in 1999 - two separate units - 2 ton for upstairs, 2.5 ton for downstairs and basement. The system has worked very well until just recently the downstairs' unit's evaporator coil has developed pinhole freon leaks - the system used R22.

Since the building of the house in 1978, heating has been with electric baseboard (very inefficient).

We like the AC system and would like to continue with the Unico, but are considering options: 1) replace the leaking evaporator coil - HVAC repairman recommends against this - expensive and may be obsolete in several years due to lack or expense of R22 - plus likelihood of other components failing
    2) update AC with non-R22 components - HVAC repairman's recommendation; 3) replace AC unit with air-to-air heat pump - thereby getting more efficient (?) heating, but retain existing electric baseboards for supplemental heat in the depths of winter - question is, do heat pumps work efficiently with high-velocity Unico ductwork? 4) replace AC unit with ground source (geothermal) heat pump - (we have lots of room for horiz. ground loop)

So, does anyone have any comments/recommendations/warnings, or otherwise good information to share on these options? Thanks!

I can answer one segment of your question, #3. Yes, heat pump would be MUCH more efficient than your resistance baseboard heat. You can easily leave the existing baseboard heaters for a backup heat source, however, the heat pump will have a supplemental heat source already installed and set up for the most efficient use. You will just leave the thermostat in the heat pump mode at all times unless there is a malfunction with the system in which you then place it in emergency heat and the supplemental heat becomes primary (or you could then use your baseboard heat). But a properly sized / properly installed heat pump will carry the heat load of your home with NO help needed. As for "do heat pumps work efficiently with high-velocity Unico ductwork?" YES, Unico makes a line of heat pump indoor units that work VERY well and are designed to be used with the small duct high-velocity ductwork (you cannot just use any type of air handler). I have installed SEVERAL of these and find them to be very nice systems.

Thanks ja2tn for that information. I'll be talking to several HVAC companies in the next several weeks to sort out the options, but it's good to get opinions from pros who are not influenced by a potential sale. One HVAC rep I have already talked to said that high-velocity ducts like Unico's will stress heat pump motors and burn them out prematurely. But recent searches indicate that Unico makes heat pumps, and others on other forums have implied there is no problem with matching heat pumps with the high-velocity ducts. I suspect the HVAC rep I talked to doesn't work with or install high-velocity ducts.

Dear dws1978,

If you have any questions about what our equipment will and won't do you can give the Unico customer service guys a call at 1-800-527-0896. We are here to help. And whether you go with an air-to-air heat pump or an air-to-water geothermal heat pump we have both refrigerant and water based coils that will match up with either solution. We also have a true variable speed EC motor in our latest air handler that will help reduce you energy comsumption when compared to the unit that you currently have.

Unico, Inc... manufacturer of The Unico System

Question Question for UNICO Rep

Quote Originally Posted by UnicoSystem View Post
    Dear dws1978,

If you have any questions about what our equipment will and won't do you can give the Unico customer service guys a call at 1-800-527-0896. We are here to help. And whether you go with an air-to-air heat pump or an air-to-water geothermal heat pump we have both refrigerant and water based coils that will match up with either solution. We also have a true variable speed EC motor in our latest air handler that will help reduce you energy comsumption when compared to the unit that you currently have.

Unico, Inc... manufacturer of The Unico System
    Who is your distributer in the East Texas region?
    What are your SEER and ARI ratings?
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Would UNICO systems qualify for the tax credit that expires in December?

SEER and AHRI

artdavila,

To locate a distributor in East Texas give our Texas rep a call. His name in Jerry Henrich and his number is 602-826-6000. To determine the SEER rating you will need to go to the AHRI database and look up the matched system (Unico air handler and specific outdoor unit) as the SEER rating is different depending on the outdoor unit manufacturer. As for the tax rebate I doubt that it would qualify.

Unico

Thank you for the info!