I was reading an earlier post about non-condensables and contamination:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....3&pagenumber=1

One thing I noticed was some discussion of having nitrogen flowing while brazing. When a new R410A system is installed (before any refrigerant is in the lineset), should nitrogen be flowing during brazing or is it enough to purge with nitrogen after the brazing?

An inert gas, such as nitrogen, should be purged through the refrigeration system while brazing in order to replace the contaminated gas that will be present in the system called "air".
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

flowing nitrogen through the system during brazing will prevent scaling inside the tubing which could cause problems if it were to flow through the system i.e plug a metering device

Actually, nitrogen or other inert gas, prevents oxidation by removing all of the oxygen by displacing it with the inert gas. It is the copper oxide that can get into the system and cause contamination issues. Also most metalic oxides are very hard and can damage sliding members, bearings, etc.

paul

Originally posted by apowers
    I was reading an earlier post about non-condensables and contamination:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....3&pagenumber=1

One thing I noticed was some discussion of having nitrogen flowing while brazing. When a new R410A system is installed (before any refrigerant is in the lineset), should nitrogen be flowing during brazing or is it enough to purge with nitrogen after the brazing?
    On a 410A system or any system for that matter needs to have N flowing through the lineset. Use R22 for leaktesting backed up by N.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll