Looking for some advice here guys. I'm buying a house and the Fedders furnace (105,000 BTU) was estimated to be over 30 years old by my home inspector. So I asked that the furnace be replaced by the seller. The seller will only replace it if the HVAC tech determines that it needs to be replaced.

So I guess I'm asking what I should ask the HVAC tech when he's there? What might the technician be looking for to say it needs to be replaced other than a cracked exchanger?

The furnace is working but I don't want to be stuck with something that should be replaced soon just b/c it is working.

According to the inspection report, it was a Fedders, Model No. CF656837. But I'm not 100% sure that # is right, according to Fedders that model was mfgd in '94. No way this thing is that new.

Here's a pic of some pretty good rusting in the burner area from my report.

Thanks for any advice!

The original Fedders stuff comes from the 70s and earlier. Just because a furnace is rusted doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. Have a good heating dealer inspect it carefully.

One word of warning, making a seller provide new equipment is asking for trouble. He'll find the cheapest POS equipment with the cheapest POS installer and you'll regret it.

He's priced the house for an old furnace. If sound he doesn't owe you one. Save up and get something decent properly installed when you can.

Scheller

I have always recommended that anyone buying a home, have the heat & air checked before making offer - if it is more than 10 years old, to make deal with seller to replace - if seller would pay 1/2, it would be better than you paying all. Either way, you can have the system replaced and finance it in with yur mortgage.
    Also, next year is the year of the 13 SEER required minimum
    ( where manuf. can't build anything less than 13 Seer ), so after stockpiles run out of the 10 & 12 seer, the price of replacement is going to go up.....maybe way up.
    So this is the time to have the system replaced if you buy the home.
    Oh yes, the owner will probably not even consider replacement unless tech condemns system. If a problem is found by the tech, the owner will just pay to have it repaired, if at all possible.

Hope this helps,
    Richard

unless heater is cracked no reason seller should replace it. you are buying a house that is at least 30 yrs old, if you want new stuff buy a new house.

Originally posted by t527ed
    unless heater is cracked no reason seller should replace it. you are buying a house that is at least 30 yrs old, if you want new stuff buy a new house.
    That's the not so funny part. The age of the furnace was a surprise to me considering the courthouse records show the house was built in 1985.

Tell the seller you don't feel comfortable with the current furnace, and you will deduct xxx dollars from price of the house.
    He will either accept, or decline.

Depends how much he wants to sell the house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

if house was built in 85 i would say home inspectors estimate off by about 10 years.