Thread: ice o matic

I was given an ice o matic machine It worked good for one week last summer it started to make ice only at the bottom of the plates and when it goes into a harvest the ice will not fall into the bin I do residental hvac and don't use 404a so I 'm going to purchase 1 drum and was wondering if the txv could also be bad. I did a leak sreach on the system with GE leak detector and found no leak I guess it should pick up 404a it does pick up 134. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

its been my experience that when a ice machine is given away..its not any good..that said, ice on the bottom of a evap in my opinion is from a lack of freon..

did you pressure test the system?? if not , theres a tag on the machine that has the high and low psi requirments..psi it with dry nitrogen to the max of the low psi reading on the tag..then do a sniff test..and use the blue leak test soap as well..i have a high dollar GE leak detector, and it went right by a leak..but the blue soap found it..

Some folks say.........

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

When it comes to ice machines, if you're given an Ice-O-Matic you've been cursed.

Seriously, go here and download the service manual for your machine. Study the sequence of operation until you fully understand it. Study the refrigeration system and troubleshooting sections later.

If you have any specific questions after doing that, call us.....we're here for you every day.
    Best of luck.

your machine probably does have a leak. focus on the pressure switch that is located on the inside of the machine behind the control cabinet. if its a ranco switch i will certainly bet its there. the other place these machines leak is behind the evap panel. just be prepared for drier plug ups and txv failures after this machine is fixed probably within 3 mos.

ice o matic

What's the model and first 4 characters of the serial number. on an older unit txv's are known to stay closed due to powerhead losing its charge. On newer unit low charge is probably due to leak in timer initiate control. As long as the evaporator is in good shape putting a hundred bucks in a free machine is a pretty good deal.

some of the ice o matics have a sensor clamped to the line to sense the start of harvest. You'll see it in there . two leads covered with presolite tape. Jump out the sensor. If it makes ice and harvests, sensor is bad. I think it is near the txv bulb. common problem
    Doug

Thanks for the responces

Cheez
    model number is C7c756a2 serial p655 evaporator is in good shape and I don't have a problem putting some money into it. I have the manual here but I have not been able to lacated so I glad that it's available on the web.

LOL. GL. Your gonna put some money into it just buying the 404-a. 199.00 for 24 lbs.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Sorry to say that the machine you have is a peice of junk. Ice o matic made this machine to compete with hoshi for individual cube market. They had nothing but problems with hot gas valves sticking and taking out compressors.Sensor problems.Txv problems and the list goes on.
    They tried running these units with solid state controllers and then went completely electro-mechanical. I worked for a IOM distributor and saw just about every problem that came with these machines. So many problems that its no longer in production. This machine will nickel and dime you to death.

thanks I guess I will let it make what ice it makes and be happy