I bought an older house which the previous owners have done EVERYTHING wrong in. The dryer vent (electric dryer) currently vents in the crawl space, not a good idea. I plan on installing a gas dryer but would like to vent it up through the roof. How should the vent be terminated, should I follow the National Fuel Gas Code guidelines with a 2' stack above anything in a 10' radius of the stack or is there another way to do this. They certainly don't cover everything in Tech. school for this trade, I graduated in December and currently work on water and air cooled chillers.
    I am thinking of posting pictures of the furnace install in the Wall of Shame, everbody would get a real good laugh out of this one!

would not try going to high or far with dryer vent due to lint build up. go out side wall away from a/c unit or any air intakes. no screws in duct connections!!

I would love to go out sideways but it would be about a 25' run through an unconditioned crawlspace that is so low that you could not crawl through, unless you got a shovel and made a path!

laundry center of house??

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    25' is the max. for duct length ,and each elbow counts as 5'.

If over that,check out http://www.fantech.net,for a dryer vent booster fan.

The termination for the dryer vent should be have a flapper door.
    Here is an Example

Notice that it has a wire mesh grille, that must be removed, it will be a lint trap. I install dryer vents everyday, and as long as you have a flapper door on the wall cap or roof jack your ok, but dash is right, if the dryer riser is too long it will be ineffective.
    When you vent a dryer up no matter how well or how short, you will have lint build up. Unless its a wall cap it will build up over time.

* I just checked Dash's link, Wow! That is neat. Don't know how they work but if I was concerned about venting over 15ft. I might consider this little booster fan.

[Edited by diegocentral on 08-16-2005 at 03:23 PM]

Unfortunately the dryer is in the center of the house. It looks like if I use the roof jack with the flapper door and the booster fan that I would be okay. I'll make sure it is accessible so the lint can be cleaned out at least once a year.
    Thanks!!

souns like the only way to go.

My house has the dryer vent going through the roof of the laundry room (was like that when I bought it). It rises around 10' or so and has 2 elbows on the top. Dryer seems to work decent and there's not too much lint build up (at least not more than I'd consider normal).

When I get some extra cash and time I plan on remodeling the laundry room and I'll definately take it out of the wall (which is less than 5' away). So many things in this house were added by the previous homeowners it's scary lol.

Two elbows and five fet of duct here.Family visitors are amazed how fast it drys the clothes.

"What kinda of dryer do you have,that drys that fast"??

taking in to consideration that neither directions(up, or through the wall) are ideal... i personally would go the route of which ever way is more accessable for cleaning. all dryer vents need cleaning regardles of length. if you go up, go straight up. every turn(elbow) is going to restrict the momentum of air flow and cause the lint to build even faster.