I have a 2-stage Copeland scroll compressor in a Lennox HSX19A-060 condensing unit. Two weeks after the installation, a Lennox brand hard start kit was added to try to stop the dimming of my lights.

When my system was installed, the dealer did not add any R410A. Two weeks after it was put in, a technician came out, checked the charge, and added R410A. With Lennox’s help, it has been determined that the system is overcharged. They are supposed to adjust the charge soon.

When they last came out, I told them how the compressor/condensing unit is loud when it turns on. It sounds like shuddering or clunking. I now realize it is also loud when it turns off. When I told them about the noise, they said they would put a crankcase heater on. I live in Southeast Texas where it can get very warm and humid. Also, I don’t remember it being very noisy before they added freon.

Could the noise be a result of the overcharge? Is the crankcase heater the answer to the noise?

Originally posted by apowers
    Could the noise be a result of the overcharge? Is the crankcase heater the answer to the noise?
    Yes to the first question and No to the second one, I have installed units with the Scroll many times and the noise is there from the beginning even when properly installed and charged, one HO complained so much we ended up changing out the compressor and the noise stopped go figure.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Sounds like the charge is still not correct and until such time it is, I would expect the compressor to be noisy. A crankcase heater will in many cases eliminate start up noises with a scroll when it is a direct result of liquid present, the CCH will prevent liquid from sitting in or on the compressor but I wouldnt even consider that until they get the charge correct, a bandaid is not a solution.

Scrolls are naturally noisy on start up and shut down, that is there design, does the compressor have a blanket installed on it,this oftens quiets it down a bit. Scrolls often sound like Diesel trucks, or a jar of marbles if u will, there noise will vary depending on what the pressures are during start up and shut down.

Best to get a qualified Tech to finalize the correct charge.

originally posted by steamer
    does the compressor have a blanket installed on it
    The compressor itself does not have a blanket installed. The walls of the compartment where the compressor sits are covered with a layer of fiberglass batting. This condensing unit is supposed to be the quietest Lennox makes.

The Lennox rep did not want them to adjust the charge yet. He found a little air infiltration in the return air plenum and wanted that fixed before the charge was adjusted.