Hoshizaki AM-50bae vs Manitowoc SM-50a

Hello everybody,

I am considering the above two ice machines for my home kitchen.

Family of four and use lots of ice here in Los Angeles.

I like everything about my fridge except its very poor ice making ability therefore looking for a stand alone unit.

Water hardness averages about 12 gpg.

My priorities from most important to least;

1) Reliablity
    2) Quality of Ice
    3) Quitness
    4) Cost of Repairs.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

I like the Hoshi model... I have a couple out I have sold, and other than cleanings, there have been no service issues.

The one drawback on both machines is they make the "shotglass" style cube. Some people think it is a little too large for a glass. Personal choice I guess.

Bottom line, I think you will be fine with either. Why not let the wife decide, then you can blame her if something does go wrong.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

I vote for the "manny". I have seen fewer problems with them long term.Both are good units with very few problems.I would mainly look for the one that you can get service and parts the easiest for.You will need both to be cleaned by a pro from time to time to keep them running good..

Quote Originally Posted by totalcomfort View Post
    You will need both to be cleaned by a pro from time to time to keep them running good..
    You are absolutely correct that routine cleanings are important for IM's. However, a professional is not necessary.

Many of my customers clean their own machines. Detailed instructions are right in the owner's manual. It's not rocket science. The only ones who don't are either technically inept, have the "wait till it fails mentality" on all their equipment or are "not my jobbers".

Also, if the OP has hard or mineral heavy water, he should consider a water treatment system. Now that needs a pro to set-up.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

If I was going to get an ice machine for personal use I'd get a Hoshi DCM "cubelet" icemaker/dispenser and water dispenser. It needs to sit on the counter, though, not under the counter like the ones you mentioned.

I personally hate the large shotglass style cubes because I like to chew my ice. When cleaning one at an office the other day, they told me nobody uses it, they all go to the other break room on a different floor for the nugget/cubelet style ice!

However cube ice will generally taste better than nugget or flake ice because it will not freeze the minerals in the water whereas nugget and flake ice will.

I am currently buying the clear cylinder type ice from the store.

I hate nugget/cubelet/flake type ice. I don't chew ice.

I hate counter top clutter.

I love the way the top hat ice looks in my glass with Scotch.

Does not dilute my drink easily or taste funny.

As far as letting the better half decide, I pick machines.

She picks colors,finishes, and other "designer type" decisions.

I clean the mechanical parts on the fridge so I will just add the ice machine to the list.

I don't think I will need a pro until something actually breaks.

As far as water treatment goes I have an RO system for the drinking water and a water softner built into the dishwasher. Add STPP for the laundry. I really don't like the feel of soft water when showering or washing hands.
    Last edited by DeeAgeaux; 05-14-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Good, sounds like you know exactly what you want.

I do know the Manitowoc has a built in water filter. Although you already have filtered water, you may still benefit from the scale reduction that is in the Manitowoc filter. Both machines are almost identical and you really can't go wrong with either.

The Hoshi does not have a filter?

Some of the websites I have seen offer a filter as an add-on or free with purchase.

Like the Everpure EV9324-01 water filter.

Is this placed on the feed line outside the Hoshi itself?

The Hoshi does not have a water filter built-in to it. The Manitowoc does. I believe the Manitowoc filters are a little pricey, but they are good.

Correct, the EV9324-01 is a great water filter system you can place on the feed line outside the Hoshi itself. The replacement filters are probably similar price as the Manitowoc.