Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question

I live in South Florida and just had a Trane 5-ton XL19i unit installed a week ago. I also installed the matching 2 stage variable speed air handler along with the Trane TCONT802 thermostat. The system is configure for Comfort-R enhanced mode.

I have noticed that, starting in the early afternoon well into the night, the system runs constantly on the first stage. I have the tstat set point at 77, the outdoor temp is around 95. Yesterday, the system ran on the first stage from 2pm to 10pm. The problem seems to be a function of the thermostat because whatever temperature I set it at, it will maintain it. What I don't understand is why it won't turn off. Is a system more efficient running for 8 hours of the first stage rather than cycling for that same time period?

What you describe sounds like normal operation for a XL19i system that is properly sized.

Depending on the house, a properly sized XL19i will run continuously in first stage when it is over about 90º outside, maybe even the upper 80's.
    2nd stage will cycle on and off periodicly to maintain setpoint.

Yes, it is much more efficient, and comforterable, for it to run that way than having a single stage system cycling on and off.

It sounds like your dealer missed explaining to you how the system works.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Its running like it should as Mark pointed out. You bought two stages for comfort, the thermostat stays at setpoint and has no large temperature swings like you would with a single stage. Doesnt it seem somewhat elementary that if the unit cycles off, the thermostat has to go a degree and a half or more off set point in order to turn back on?

It seems plausible when I think about it. I didn't however, think that the system should still be trying to maintain a 77 set point continously at 10pm at night. I would have thought the heat load on the house would have benn long gone.

Two stages means, in esscence, two levels of capacity. At low stage the capacity of the system is reduced to allow longer run times. At low stage its no longer a 5 ton unit. On the Trane, I dont know the capcity differenct but if it were say 50%, would it not seem possible that you have at least a 2.5 ton load on your home until that time of day? Dont forget to consider the latent load meaning, the humidity. I suspect the building matierials your home is made of, IE wood, cement, etc have some mass and they hold alot of heat on into the evening.

Again, I think your system sounds like its operating properly and was installed properly.

Bring back the old 7-8 and 9 seer's any day that is when a/c was a/c seems we never had the cooling complaints like today, when I got a call back then the a/c was either low on charge or out you would charge it up or repair it and seems you would never hear from the customer for ever, what's happened? the Goverment mandates high efficient, high seer crap to keep the power companys from having to build more power plants thats the norm look out for big business that is the Governments
    job. My light bill is higher than ever go figure!

[Edited by mrbillpro on 08-16-2005 at 09:18 AM]
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I beg to differ. Back in those days the systems had one task, make the air tolerable. Customer expectations regarding comfort, IAQ, changes in construction of homes, awareness of mold, and other VOC's, soaring energy costs and other stuff has changed.

Well as long as we can agree to disagree thats cool because I still disagree with you. and back then my opinion is a/c made the place cool not just tolerable. I can remember when I use to always tell my wife it's cold in here turn that a/c off, now that they concentrate mostly on sensible and not latent unless you buy a VS system that not all can afford well you can forget about the latent, that is why they run all day, I don't have the solution but this 20 seer stuff is not all it's cracked up to be and you better get ready to answer more questions like this HO has asked in the future
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Yeah the old 9 seer units would run at fullblast then shut down and keep cycling. You would have to turn the thermo way down to get any dehumidification. The newer unit I have the temp turned up to 79 as compared to my old 9 seer set at 74, and it feels a hell of a lot more comfortable then when the old 9 seer was in place. In fact neighbors come over and think I have the thermo turned way down.The house had more hot pockets with the 9 seer then can be observed now, and besides my KW useage has gone down!
    In my opinion it works!

bgaston - I also have the XL19i, yours is working as desgned.
    Keep in mind we have been having 92+ degrees with a heat index of 105 days here in S Fla which is a little warm. Mine usually starts to cycle around 9 to 9:30pm on these hot days. Based on my conversations, it is better to run a compressor longer then to cycle, this will lead to longevity. Trust me you will be delighted on how comfortable your home will be with this unit! My two neighbors bought their XL19i after I took the plunge, and theirs perform the same way!
    What's nice is even though FPL raised the rates since 2 years ago my bill shows less KW useage then with my old 9 SEER and the monthly charge has not gone up, in fact it has come down a little, so in essence I am further ahead!

[Edited by kevinmac on 08-16-2005 at 10:38 AM]

Great......

I am not so worried now. This is my first experience with "the cutting edge of cool". I love this unit. Now that I know how it was designed to work, I feel better. Thanks to all for your knowledge.

Kevin are you a Trane rep. ? Yes I would expect to hear those comments on that system hey you bought one! and I am happy to hear you have no complaints and are a happy camper you are Blessed. I get more calls on the newer high efficient stuff especially the VS stuff it seems today that any others why does my unit run all the time? my light bill has not gone down any if anything it's a little higher believe me I hear this everyday I am out there unlike you, like I said your Blessed if you have no complaints. prime example this HO the problems exist.

Originally posted by kevinmac
    Yeah the old 9 seer units would run at fullblast then shut down and keep cycling. You would have to turn the thermo way down to get any dehumidification.
    And that is BS thats what the old units were best at dehumidification.

Originally posted by bgaston
    Great......"the cutting edge of cool".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast