Thread: How would you rate airflow brand?

Post Likes

Question

Hey all, found this forum a few weeks ago. Lots of good information here. I haven't seen anyone ever mention units made by Airflow. I serched and didn't find anything. I'm just a home owner looking to have central air installed in a house in Michigan. I've gotton three estimates and two of the lower priced contractors bid to install Airflow brand units.

I'm looking for a recommendation. Should I go with the Airflow? I've never heard of them. Doesn't mean much though 'cause I don't know much about all this.

The lowest bidder wants to install a 2.5 ton Airflow unit. The next lowest bidder($75.00 more) wants to install a 2 ton Airflow unit.

1300 square foot house that's ten years old. Well built stick built house. Could these guys have done a load calc on this house before they made their bids or are they wingin' it? Why two different sized units suggested?

Your interest in my situation is appreciated and I look forward to any response to my questions.

Thanks, TC

Post Likes
    Never heard of it either, maybe its a private label.

Post Likes
    It is spelled Aire-flo made by Lennox
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    So that would mean it was made by another manufacturer(possibly a known one) then someone elses name was put on it? Or a locally owned company that actually makes their own units?

TC

Post Likes
    Sorry karsthuntr, I didn't see your post before I replied.
    Do you like Aire-flo? Yay, or Nay?

Thanks, TC

Post Likes
    I have work on hundreds of air-flo units and and to be honest I would prefer a goodman You may have better luck though as the units have gotten slightly better, the heatpumps have a lot of txv problems. the straight cool units had less problems [less parts]. The units do have copeland scroll compressors. I will say that if the unit is installed properly it will last and operate better and longer..............

Post Likes
    Dave82323, Hmmm, I read the hall of shame thread about goodmans. You don't agree? or are you saying that an aire-flo is a step below a goodman?

TC

Post Likes
    Its Lennox's generic brand, Kinda how Goodman is the lower of Amana.

Senior Tech Guest
    First of all make sure the load calculation is correct, it either takes one or the other...to small and it won't keep the house comfy, to big and it will satisfy the thermostat but not remove enough humidity...why did they suggest 2 different sizes? Easy one here, one or both of them could be wrong...go to top right of this page and find out for yourself what you need.
    Now on to brand...aire-flo is indeed made by Lennox, for lack of a better word we'll call it their "generic" brand. Personally I'm not a big fan of them but they have there place as do other "generic" brands. Most failures of equipment are created by poor or improper installation, if it's installed correctly you should see many years of use from it....basically, go with what you can afford and take into account how long you expect it to live...

Quality Models/Brands 15-20 years average

Generic Models/Brands 12-15 years average

Many things also fit into the life expectancy equasion, proper, professional maintanance being number one.

Post Likes
    Senior tech, Thanks for the information. I come up with 2.1 tons. Does that mean move up or round down?

I'm beginning to think twice about Aire-flo. They seem to only come in 10 and 12 SEER models too. I read somewhere 13 SEER will be the standard in 2006.

Maybe I should get the cheaper unit, then upgrade to the 20 SEER units that will be available 10 years from now! Maybe I'm wishing! Maybe I should get a better brand with a better SEER rating. What's the best?

TC

Post Likes
    tall cotton, when you see the cheaper builders using these units it has got to make you think..like I said before when installed properly they could be okay,????

Post Likes
    Air-Flow brand equipment is manufactured by Ducane.

In the race to make the cheepest equipment money can buy, they are at the front of the pack.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in