Just bought a house and during inspections the outside unit was noted as having an acid/caustic sprayed on the fins, due to the fact that the fins are very brittle and "flake" off with minimal effort. There are some areas where the fins are flat. Whole system was installed about 5 years ago by a well known company with a great reputation.

Before buying the house I called a friends AC guy and he said that he wouldn't replace it till it went bad. However, if I wanted to replace it now he could replace it with an Amana or Goodman 12 SEER unit which would save me around $40-$60 a month over the 10 SEER unit installed.

Q1 Will a 12 seer save me this kind of money?
    Q2 Should I wait for it to go bad before replacing. It doesn't run a long time and keeps the house comfortable.
    Q3 The duct work has a metal box for a Y split to the back rooms. Should I change this out?

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by justahomeowner
    outside unit was noted as having an acid/caustic sprayed on the fins, due to the fact that the fins are very brittle and "flake" off with minimal effort.

Dog Urine
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

40-60$ is kind of generous for any appliance. I've heard to expect 8% to 9% savings per SEER point above 10.(standard)
    But I haven't seen any technical data about this. What is the average savings someone should expect per SEER point.
    For Example 10 SEER to 12SEER what kinda of % savings should someone see

Any savings would certainly be based on the climate you live in. In our area the cost savings between 10 SEER and 14 SEER A/C units amounts to about $7.00 per year!!! Payback on the difference calculates out to be about 157 years. Kind of hard to sell efficiency in our area. LOL. If you live in Texas or Florida or California where energy costs are high and cooling load is as well I am sure you will see higher returns than this. Still sixty to seventy bucks a month sounds pretty optimistic.
    "Go big or Go Home"

i would also wait for it to go bad... but i would not replace it with amana or goodman... you'll just end up replacing it again in 5 years. as for the savings between 10 and 12 seer... i personally save about $6.00 a month(roughly) and if i were you i wouldn't be too concerned about the limited time you have left before you unit dies. save your money and buy a six pack.