Thread: Spanish rice?

Hybrid View

Spanish rice?

Anyone have a good recipe for Spanish rice? NO Rice-a-roni does not count.

Ive just been throwing some salsa and peppers in the pot with the water.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    Anyone have a good recipe for Spanish rice? NO Rice-a-roni does not count.

Ive just been throwing some salsa and peppers in the pot with the water.
    I make spanish rice all the time. It's really easy. Put a little oil in the pot , cut up a bit of onion and sautee it. Add rice, I use about a cup for a 2 quart pot, and sautee it with the onion, It will turn white and then brown it slightly. Cover with water and let it cook with a lid on it. My wife and her family like it when you let it make what they call con collon. Its when you let the rice on the bottom of the pot get crunchy. Some times I add GOYA con culantro y achiote (coriander & annatto) which gives it a yellow color and seasons it well. But overall most of her family likes it just plain white.

If you want it spicy , just cut up a hot pepper and sautee it with the onions and rice.

Use tomato sauce if you want it reddish.

seems i was making it half ass right.

I just bought a very nice rice cooker, beats a pan hands down.
    I think I would caramelize the onions, rice n peppers in a pan then put it all in the cooker with the water and tomato sauce. Maybe a large pinch of Goya's Adobo Powder .

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    seems i was making it half ass right.

I just bought a very nice rice cooker, beats a pan hands down.
    I think I would caramelize the onions, rice n peppers in a pan then put it all in the cooker with the water and tomato sauce. Maybe a large pinch of Goya's Adobo Powder .
    The Adobo is good but I like the other stuff and it comes with or with out various seasoning. I let the water get absorbed by the rice and then turn the heat way down, which allows the bottom to get get crunchy but not burned.

prior to hvac i was a chef for 10 years.
    soooo
    best recipe i have so far would be to saute some onion and green pepper around match stick size. once they are cooked a bit add a can of tomato paste, some water and rice and cook the rice in it.

Tucson style

Here's how my wife makes it............and I love it.

Brown rice in oil with a deep fry pan till golden brown.

Add sliced up garlic,onions,whole tomatoes(can), salt and pepper.

Cover with 1" of water and put on lid.

Simmer for 30-40 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE LID, DO NOT CHECK till 30 mins.

Serve with tacos, fresh salsa, goat cheese,and an ice cold Modelo Especial.

Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

1 Medium Onion cut-up 1 Mild Pepper cut-up Margarine, Butter, or Olive oil. Chicken Base. Fresh Ground Pepper, and Saffron to taste. Cooked Peas, or Green Beans, and Carrots, maybe added at end. Pernod Liqueur to taste (Optional) 2.5 Cups of water, 1 2/3 cups of Basmati Rice. Large Glass Pot, Small Glass Pot. "I use Corning Ware"

Saute onion in Large pot in Micro-wave, add water and chicken base, "I use about 1.25 times amount of base recommended. Bring to a boil, add Saffron and set aside. Par-boil pepper leave it slightly Crisp. Cook other vegetables, if used. Taste Chicken water, add more base, and Saffron if needed, should be on the slightly strong side, but not overly salty. Add Rice, return to Micro-wave, bring to low boil. Stir, cock lid to vent and return to Micro-wave. Cook on 30% to 50% power 3 to 5 minutes at a time, (depends on power of Micro-wave.) When Liquid is Absorbed, added Pepper, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, Vegatables if used. Also added Pernod at this time, set aside with lid securely on for Five minutes.

Note do not pre-soak Saffron if using Micro-wave. If using Stove top or Oven, pre-soak Saffron and added Fresh Ground Black Pepper, before rice.

BTW I'm usually cooking something on the grill at the same time. You do not need to be at the Micro-wave the whole time except when bringing the Rice to its initial boil.