Hmm

ok guys i am a hvacr tech who works on everything from domestic refrigs to million btu makeup air units and everything in between. so i have quite a bit of knowledge about what is available on the market.
    my situation is i have a 20 yr old heil 92 percent efi. furnace and a matching 8 seer cond. i have a 2000 sq ft. home with 20 inches of attic insulation, no sidewall insulation and 37 single pane windows. i am saving money up to replace my equipment and start remodeling. my question is with the upcomeing seer increase should i wait to replace my ac? i know that most manufactures will only have a minumum efficiency unit in a few months so they hopefully will be introducing more high end units (16-20) seer units. and hopefully these units will become more affordable. i live in southern iowa so we get some extreme cold and extreme heat. i am considering a heatpump with a fossil fuel kit. but i cannot find much info about the benifits of a more high end peice of equipment. cost to install versus utility savings. what do you guys have and recomend? brand and efficeincy and where can i find hard data on cost savings.
    my boss says 14 seer no heatpump, but i would like to try one so i have a referance when my customers inquire.
    one final note my utility company pays 100 dollars for each seer over 12 and an extra 200 for a hp. so this will help to offset the initial costs. also i can install it myself.

Former Iowan here...

I'd certainly look at dual fuel. With the price of gas these days, Iowa's electricity is low, you would save a bundle. If the furnace is doing OK, you can keep it for now. Even with the $100 rebate, probably won't have a big savings going beyond 12 SEER though next year's 13 SEER probably won't be much diff than today's 12s.

Get you a Vision Pro thermostat with outdoor sensor. It does your dual fuel controlling for you. Very simple.

If your going to go ultra high efficiency wait until next year, there will be a tax advantage for using energy star systems. Sort of like the tax break people now get for buying a hybrid car.