I was just reading a post talking a humidity and it made me think about my sling phsycrometer. Now I have a talor that I have had for years and I alway carry a bottle of distilled water to use with it. I have replaced the sock every so often, just in case but it never really seemed bad anyway. Now where they were talking about what is a high humidity it made me wonder that being around here it always seems to read around 45% to 65 % relitive humidity when Im checking it to charge with my carrier chart using wet bulb. I guess more then anything Im wondering what others do to check out their sling phsycrometers. Now I know a lot of you own electronic ones but Im fine with this one and with electronic , Im in the same positions as far as not knowing how accurate it is also. So tell me , If I have a friend that has one of the whole house ones , you know the ones they have with three dials that hang on the wall showing humidity and temperature .... are those acurate enough to check my sling with, if they both end up showing the same % humidity. I know they may both be off but if they do read the same my guess would pretty much be their right. Ya I know they might both be exactly wrong the same but unlikely. Other then that , give me your opinions. Being there just 2 glass thermomometers one with the sock to wet.....whats there to go wrong?

[Edited by dec on 08-15-2005 at 07:16 PM]

I USED ONE FOR 30 YRS.Take the sock off. Let the two tubes stablelize. If they both read the same temp. and there are no spaces in the tubes you should be fine.I have one in my truck still use it.

Originally posted by dec
    % relitive humidity when Im checking it to charge with my carrier chart using wet bulb.
    I only trust the pysch.chart to find RH from wet bulb.
    Compare and see the difference for youself.

Calibrating the thermometers is first. I use ice with enough water to cover the ice for 32^F. 1,000 feet per min. air flow until the temperatures stop changing is next. Distilled water with a clean sock. A piece of large shoe string is a cheap sock replacement. Some use condensate water?

Pretty decorative junk

>>one of the whole house ones , you know the ones they have with three dials that hang on the wall
    >>showing humidity and temperature .... are those acurate enough to check my sling with

My experience with these wall hygrometers leaves a lot to be desired. Granted, my wall ones have been cheapies too. Surely there must be some quality instruments out there, but all too often these things are regarded as wall decoration rather than a true measuring device.

Consider a nice looking 3-dial table-top unit made by Seiko. This one I got as a gift, hey Seiko makes good stuff right? Not always. It looks great on a desk but right now it tells me 59% RH while a Walmart electronic cheapie says 53% (actually it says 50% and my correction table adjusts to 53%).

Old school stuff like a sling psychrometer, it's over my head in terms of effort to use, but I have confidence you can get pretty accurate readings out of it. As good as anything I have! I admire "old school", a lot.

Hope this helps -- P.Student