Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Tridium Sedona

Tridium Sedona

Is there anything yet published on this?

not yet.
    keep an eye on Brian Frank's blog:
    http://www.niagara-central.com/ord?portal:/blog/Blog/1

In brief, the program works like this:

* Developers complete an application process to certify products against a set of specifications. In general, this involves completing a Conformance Statement Questionnaire, which documents the environment in which the product will be certified, the roles the product plays in the interfaces, and the features that are supported. It also may require results from testing procedures, documentation of actual implementations, and other information that may be useful to help a buyer evaluate the product.
    * Tridium's Sedona Framework certification team reviews the application for completeness and puts the product/device(s) through its testing procedures.

* Developers and manufacturers must enter into a Trademark License Agreement to use the Sedona Framework logo before their first product passes certification. This will give them the right to use the logo and to describe their certified product as Sedona Framework-certified once the product/device has completed the certification process and notification of passing is given.
    * If a certified product is found not to be in compliance, then the developer must correct the problem within a specified timeframe, or lose the rights to use the Sedona Framework trademark.
    * The program uses Trademark Law to ensure compliance. Developers and manufacturers who claim compliance without having met and maintained the certification requirements are subject to substantial legal penalties. As part of the branding program Tridium will promote Sedona certified devices and products through its marketing initiatives. Tridium does not guarantee a device/products performance. Purchasers will need to incorporate appropriate performance guarantees in their contracts with the respective developers and manufacturer.
    * Products that have been verified to conform to Sedona Interoperability Guidelines are eligible to carry the Sedona Framework logo. The logo is an indicator that a product has completed the conformance tests and has been designed to interoperate with other Sedona Framework devices.

The costs for the certification and testing program are as follows:

* Certification: $2,500 for each device/product
    * Trademark/Logo Usage: $2,500 for up to 5 devices/products per organization*

*Note: The above costs are good for one year. Additional trademark/logo use rights will require annual renewals.

How many guys will line up initially to pay Tridium to examine all their neat product ideas in advance? This sounds familiar to some other protocol people like to complain about....

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    How many guys will line up initially to pay Tridium to examine all their neat product ideas in advance? This sounds familiar to some other protocol people like to complain about....
    Who knows? I have no experience in these matters...So tell me this...isn't that chump change at that level?

Depends right? Let's say I develop 5 devices...
    That's 15,000.00 per year maintenance fees.
    I wonder what the Trademark License agreement costs on top of that.

Maybe LON is cheaper because at least they sell you a chip...

sysint must be in the running for Obama's Control's Czar.
    Any of the Czars must be able to take the facts to misinform the public via presentation.

And add to that, Czars/sysint not answering questions that don't serve there purposes because it would expose their 'words'.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by NINAX View Post
    sysint must be in the running for Obama's Control's Czar.
    Any of the Czars must be able to take the facts to misinform the public via presentation.

And add to that, Czars/sysint not answering questions that don't serve there purposes because it would expose their 'words'.

FM

Hey, I like the new Sysint. Provides very little in the way of useful information, atleast in my eyes, and his enemy has went from Trane to Tridium, ASHRE and BACnet. Atleast you can say his opion/hatred is focused and unwaivering.

The whole story about Sedona one could find here: http://sedonadev.org/

Quote Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
    Hey, I like the new Sysint. Provides very little in the way of useful information, atleast in my eyes, and his enemy has went from Trane to Tridium, ASHRE and BACnet. Atleast you can say his opion/hatred is focused and unwaivering.
    I like Tridium. They aren't as gold as you guys say in reality but very good. Isn't Sedona very similar to LON? (in structure) I think so. It's yet another protocol...

Anyway, my ASHRAE stand has never changed and really isn't Trane disappearing? Further Trane is changing their front end anyway so now more conventional. No more boat anchor to complain about.

I also have to say Ninax is very good.... I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Isn't Sedona very similar to LON? (in structure) I think so. It's yet another protocol...
    Nope, a protocol would be sox (The sedona version of fox, so to speak).

Sedona is comprised of a language, a virtual machine, a compiler, some protocols, etc. In other words, a framework for developing applications for very small embedded devices.
    Did you even read the summary page?

Sedona language: A general purpose component oriented programming language very similar to Java or C#.

Sedona Virtual Machine
    The Sedona virtual machine is a small interpreter written in ANSI C designed for portability. It allows code written in the Sedona programming language to be written once, but run on any Sedona device. The VM itself is designed to be highly portable to new microprocessors and operating systems.

The Sedona compiler also generates standard Java bytecode which allows you to run all your Sedona code on the Java VM too.

Small Devices
    Sedona is targeted to be run in very small embedded devices - Sedona applications can be run in under 100KB of memory!

Open Source Ecosystem
    The core Sedona Framework technology is licensed under a flexible academic styled license. See http://www.opensource.org/licenses/afl-3.0.php
    See this for an explanation of such license.

Yes, they are as gold as we say they are.

The picture on the media threw me off track a bit... So, it's really a copy of Sunspots.

I thought they wrapped up the Sox part as integrated. You are saying it's standalone until we see SOx over whatever.

Gold? -- Take a look at my last submitted LPA log and you can't say that. However, problem solved.

Sedona Virtual Machine
    The Sedona virtual machine is a small interpreter written in ANSI C designed for portability. It allows code written in the Sedona programming language to be written once, but run on any Sedona device. The VM itself is designed to be highly portable to new microprocessors and operating systems.

Tridium´s initial target is the Jennic-chip JN5139 Wireless Microcontroller (IEEE802.15.4 and ZigBee), see jennic.com. One need not necessarily use radio, but "wired" IP with some lower layer of BACnet protocol implementation should be possible we were told. RS485 might be more difficult. Any powerful 16- or 32-bit controller might be a target, they say.
    We are not really clear about the value of the story. Licensing is expansive, so one needs to create medium to high volume products. This probably not will be a switch in the wall! So what might be the target of Sedona? It might live and die with market acceptance in a multivendor sense. But hasn´t the idea of multivendor been obsolete meanwhile? After 2 decades of LonWorks technology, many project engineers are frustrated about multivendor open systems and not only some few turn back to (red, blue, other coloured) system vendors. I feel, the market today wants a complete system solution with open interfaces, but time for multivendor has been over. So what place Sedona then might find?

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast