I've been thinking about purchasing one of each. I see Dwyer sells a few of each instrument. I've also been looking at Yellow Jackets digital anemometer, but I think I'd stick with one of Dwyer's air velocity kits for the manometer.

Any suggestions or input from those who have one? Thanks.
    Get back to work.

pitot tube and a dwyer manometer, time proven and reliable.

anemometers take a little work out of it, but you could option to use the one that reads dirrectly to fpm, or use the digital istead. but the anemometer with the vane head is a little limited in application imo.

I use a rotating vane digital anemometer by TPI. but it reads in fpm... however, they give the charts to convert to CFM in most applications... even gives you pics on where to place the vane on varying grilles. And ofcourse pipe or duct diameters. You will still need a pocket calculator in your kit.

As for more stuff like the odd light commercial. You might find satisfactory success with an old tried-and-true pitot tube, and the old style incline manometer, comes with pain in the ass red fluid.... as it's more stable when you take the required 12 or 24 readings in the duct... once again, you'll need a writing pad and calculator.

I tried using a digital manometer on the pitot tube... but the numbers jump so erratic due to it's sensitivity and the dynamic movement of air in any given spot... it's nearly impossible to have any modicum of accuracy.

Oh... and you need patience... to be accurate. And diplomacy with customers wondering why it takes so long to figure things out.

Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

Get back to work.

Dwyer gauge is here.

Dwyer case and mounting kit is here.

Dwyer pilot tube is here.

If you want one unit that does it all check out the TSI velocicalc plus.

It is a hot-wire anemometer,will do pitot traverses,& is a manometer.

It will read pascals also if you are into that stuff.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

~O O~

Sq2Rd? What do you want to do with them? If it's just an occational test or T&B.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

If you want an excellent little book on airflow and airflow measurements go to http://www.lamabooks.com and purchase a copy of "Airflow In Ducts".

Best little book available on the topic. No matter how long you have been measuring airflow you will learn enough to make the book worth more than the price of the book.

Re: ~O O~

Originally posted by hvacker
    Sq2Rd? What do you want to do with them? If it's just an occational test or T&B.
    I won't be using them everyday.
    Get back to work.

Norm, already have it. Excellent book. Thanks.
    Get back to work.

I guess if I just wanted to measure static pressure a $50 Magnehelic would be fine but if I wantes to know air flows I'd need to spend more. I actually got a Alnor 6000 P velometer on EBAY for $175. The calibration I think is about $250+po but you'd have a $1500 meter that can do a whole lot from static, low flow, pitot reads. Just a thought.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

I finally got some quotes back from one of the supply houses. This Yellow Jacket 68900 anenometer is almost $900! Wow. The #68901 is the same price. The difference is a 2.75" probe and a 1" probe. Even the replacement probes are $361.00.

She also quoted me on this Dwyer Air Velocity kit which was $20 higher than what I've seen on Dwyer's site...and that's $521.50.

I don't mind spending the money for higher end products, (tool account helps ) but man...that's a lot of dough.

I may have to opt for this Yellow Jacket anemometer. I'm sure it'll do for my purposes.

Although I don't mind spending the money and having a tool that may exceed my scope of work. The more I learn, the better off I can be with having the proper tool(s) which will aide me further down the road.
    Get back to work.