Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy GMC Vans

Guys,

I am looking at purchasing 2 new vans. I am seriously considering the GM vans because they are ergonomically superior to the Fords and I think they will be more comfortable for my drivers.

The guys would rather drive the Chevys.

In 2000 I purchased two GM 3500 series vans and lemmon lawed both of them because of braking issues.

How are the new vans on brakes? Do you get good front pad wear? Have any of you had any issues with the hydro boost lines blowing off the braking system?

I don't want to get into a Ford vs Chevy thing please!
    Also the GM vans are about 4K cheaper than the same Ford.

Thanks,

Bob

[Edited by HeyBob on 08-15-2005 at 02:58 PM]

Last van we bought, prices were virtually identical between the 2 brands. We've had more brake trouble with the Chevys. Starters don't hold up like the Fords. Tons of trouble with the side door hinges. No brake line trouble at all. Engines & trannys have been fine, knock on wood.

GM is incapable of making decent brakes for vans.
    GM is incapable of making door hinges for vans.

What's worse is GM doesn't acknowledge they don't know how to make brakes or door hinges for vans. We have a 2002 GMC that has side door hinge problems (already) and it's on it's 4th set of brakes. (front) First brake problems at around 10,000 miles. This van carries a light load of about 500 lbs and is a 3/4 ton with no ladder rack.

Other than that they are OK.

2003 Chevy G30 van. My driver's door has fallen off twice.

whatever you do get the 3500 series with the 6.0 motor, the factory brakes lasted 35k on my '04 which now has 4 wheel disc. the older vans a '95,'99,'02 has drums in the rear and the first set would last 15k then 10-12k after that. so the discs in the rear really make a huge difference and they stop on a dime. my van weighs 9200 lbs so its almost fully loaded all the time and i drive fast on the highway and in alot of stop and go traffic. besides brakes and tires i had the a/c compressor clutch brake and lock up everything causing the belt to break on the '99, over 300k+ miles total. i would buy a chevy van for myself without even thinking about it. the 2 fords that we have has in 12 years have been total junk and unfixable by any dealership

I have a 2002 GMC Savanna 3500 with 90K miles and still have the original brakes. They're due to be changed, but they're not down to metal yet.

No other brake or hinge problems either. A side door hold-open strap broke a while back, but no big deal.

Yeah, GM's factory brakes suck. We went with a heavy duty after-market brake & haven't had a problem since. And their tires! But that's another story for another thread....
    WHY?

God, I feel great about my Econoline 250 now.

2003 Chevy van 2500, brakes done at 40,000 and 75,000 miles.

Damn..I feel better all over again.

I am looking at 3500 series, 6.0 engine, cutaway chassis with 12' FRP box on the back. They both have 4 wheel disc brakes, but I was suprised to notice that they had semi floating rear axles and not full floaters.

The Fords have been awesome, but getting inside those Chevys and the room that they have as well as the price makes them hard to pass up.

Two Words: Dodge Sprinter
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Originally posted by neophytes serendipity
    Two Words: Dodge Sprinter
    I am waiting for a "Ford" sprinter van. In our fleet we have Dodges, Fords and Chevys. The local Ford Dealer gives us the best deals and the best service. We have had the best luck with Ford. The local Dodge dealer went out of business. The Chevy guy is a pompus jerk. So what can I do???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast