Carrier Requirement for Warranty Information

I am a Florida Mechanical Contractor and I act in good faith with clients and suppliers. I am new to the HVAC business, but not new to Contract Administration. Not to focus on any specific Manufacturer with malice, but I need some information.

I have a Client that has two leaking AHU coils. Leak detected and rechecked with Nitrogen and leak detector. I don't upsell or misrepresent facts to my Clients or suppliers.

I have all Model #, Serial #, Date of Original Install, A copy of the Title indicating the date the Home Owner took delivery from the Building Contractor for use to obtain replacement parts.

Carrier / Total Line is now asking for documentation on when Power was provided to the 1st Buyer. That is no where on the list of criteria on the warranty registration sheet that states this requirment. Carrier's CSR on the phone said the parts distributors make their own rules.

Are these people crazy? I have atached what I am providing these people.

What gives?HVAC talk Warranty Package For review a.pdf

Might be real close to, or over the warranty expiration date.
    I've heard of it happening before. You're not being singled out, if that's what you're thinking.

the wrangler is correct. if the units in question are out of standard warranty by using the date code, the next step is to go by the installation/startup date. if this information is not availabe, we then go by the sale date. as we all know the day you buy something is not the day that it is installed and started up. because a building can be in use before the occupant actually takes ownership, the date that power was put to the unit is most likely being used as the startup date. i disagree with the csr that you spoke to though, distributers don't make up their own rules!!!

from looking at the information i pulled up on these units it does not appear that they were registered for the upgrade to 10 years. if that is that case they went out of warranty on 3.31.11. if you can show where power was not put to these units until after that you may still be able to claim warranty.

I agree with both these gents. What may have appeared to be an extra "hoop" for you to jump through, was probably an effort by Total Line guy to help you and your customer out by getting warranty coverage extended based on startup date vs installed date. And maybe (?) CSR guy was thinking about how such help is not always given (from any OEM) like this, and he just worded it really badly. Total Line guy sounds to me like he deserves thanks and repeat business.

I know the 3 criteria:

1. Manufacture Date,
    2. Intallation Date,
    3. Contractor to Owner Date.

# 2 is first priority if known and #3 is not applicable.
    # 1 is first priority if # @ is not known and #3 is not applicable.
    # 3 is first priority if it is after # 1 and # 2 based on the warranty information.

We have stipulated that we do not expect the 1- yr. coverage since it was not properly registered, but the 5 year warranty should still be in effect.

i just went back and saw that you have a may 19th settlement date. this should be covered under carrier's standard 5 year warranty. call 866.902.4822 and talk to someone in warranty administration. they should be able to help you with this.

I figured my client would be. The power company will not send out anything in writing stating the power on date, they will tell anyone over the phone as long as they know the address.

A different service contractor tried to sell him two new systems stating that these were outside their service life.

No wonder Contractor have a bad reputation and have to work uphill to establish a good one.

Thanks guys for all of the input.

Try to get them the comissioning report if you can, thats all you can do. I used to work for Carrier and did a lot of warranty work. If you bug them enough they will take care of it for you. Beleive me. My branch had a local contractor complain so much (and rightfully so) about a chiller (30RAN) that after 3-4 yrs of operation, they replaced the whole chiller... I couldnt believe it myself.