Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have done RI freezers a bunch of times with cap tube to TXV conversion. Just snip the 2 ends of the cap and leave it, run a piece of 1/4" along the suction, a little brazing and flare magic and you end up with a freezer that kick a$$ compared to the slow recovering crap tube freezer. No receiver required, put on a site and charge it till it clears. No more dead R-404A Coplematic compressors either.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I have done RI freezers a bunch of times with cap tube to TXV conversion. Just snip the 2 ends of the cap and leave it, run a piece of 1/4" along the suction, a little brazing and flare magic and you end up with a freezer that kick a$$ compared to the slow recovering crap tube freezer. No receiver required, put on a site and charge it till it clears. No more dead R-404A Coplematic compressors either.
    With no receiver the refrigerant will back up into the condenser when there is no load. This has not been a problem for you ?
    I like that crap tube analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Don't know if this will help or not.....
    So MT, how did your unit turn out?

X-2 on the Crap Tube. I like that a lot. LOL
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Just wondering how others approach the controls. I could run low or line. It would be easiest to install a lpsw with nc to condenser unit. No defrost.

On the cap tube, I thought about what you said regarding the flooded condenser and I still wonder if one is taking a chance considering a tank is only a couple of extra bucks. Your right it would probably work just fine tho.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    With no receiver the refrigerant will back up into the condenser when there is no load. This has not been a problem for you ?
    I like that crap tube analogy.
    Under no load, why would you need full condenser capacity? A lot of OEMs are doing this with no receiver. No one has complained, and no compressors have failed, and the pull down time is just awesome compared to the crap tube system. The fan thermodisc starts the fan in only a few minutes, compared to 20+ minutes on the crap tube.

I still do not recall if I ever did this on a reach in medium temp though? But I would.

An over sized drier with the outlet pointed down makes a good reciever. Thats what many of the OEM's are doing.

I know some of the older hussman RI freezers use a txv and no reciever and they work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cold spell View Post
    An over sized drier with the outlet pointed down makes a good reciever. Thats what many of the OEM's are doing.
    I am going to install a filter/drier anyway and I like the idea. I'll snap some pics when I'm done. I picked up the evap unit today. Had a little problem finding such a small tx. Sid harvey had a 1/4 ton that i think will suit just fine.

Here are pics of the install. I added a lpsw as a safety. Thanks for the input. Using the dryer as a receiver works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12