Thread: compressor froze up

Post Likes
    We recently did a service call for a local club in our area.The call was for not enough cold air coming from the vents. We put our gauges on the system and they had no superheat or subcooling. We evacuated the system but couldn't get all the refrigerant out of the compressor. The bottom of the compressor was all iced up. We finally were able to get it all out and bring the system into a vacuum, checked for leaks with nitrogen and a trace of r-22. We recharged system but could not get the superheat or subcooling to acceptable levels. Could the compressor be bad?

Post Likes
    Explain the type of system. Pressures, subcooling, superheat, ambiant, indoor, delta t, TXV or fixed, model and serial. Did you check the filter? did you check the coil?

Post Likes
    Did you check the evap. coil, blower mtr and filters? From the info you've given so far, it sounds like the evap coil is freezing up.

Post Likes
    Carrier 5 ton with scroll compressor. Suctionline pressure was 40 PSI, Liquid Line Pressure was 200 PSI. Superheat 4 deg. Subcool 2 deg.

Post Likes
    check:

is the evap coil clean?
    is the blower clean?
    is the filter clean?
    is the condenser coil clean?
    are both fans running?
    is the airflow correct?

40 on lo side sounds like a low charge. with 40 on low side, the evap will freeze right up . i always check to make sure everything is clean. i learned that the hard way! i'm not sure right off hand what 40 psig is as fal as temps but its like 30 *f or the like!

Post Likes
    looks to me like metering devise is way oversized or
    2 degrees subcooling tells us your undercharged and 4 degrees superheat means we are flooding. it could be your evap coil is stopped up causing the low superheat. i would check for airflow problems across your evap coil.

[Edited by airworx on 08-15-2005 at 07:01 PM]

Post Likes
    i think its time:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    N E W U N I T N E W U N I T N E W U N I T
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes

Masstech

You have low airflow ( very low airflow ) in yur system. ( the readings tell you that )
    Check to see if indoor coil is frozen, or was frozen when you were there, sounds like it, then check filters , evap coil, ductwork, etc.

If frozen, then you have further problems resulting from either low air flow to begin with ( causing it to freeze ) or low refrigerant charge. Once cleared of ice,
    low suction press. and low suction line temp = low air flow
    low suction press & high suction line temp = refrigerant problem.

Hope this helps,
    Richard

[Edited by bornriding on 08-15-2005 at 08:21 PM]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in