Thread: Nutone or Fan-Tech In Line Fan??

Post Likes

Confused

While prepping to foam our roof to solve a condensation problem with our ducts in the attic, we discovered our builder never connected a duct to the bath fan. It has been blowing the humid air into the attic and roof line of the vaulted ceiling. We can't get to it now, so we are going with plan B....

We are going to install an in line fan in the attic with the return high up on the wall at the highest point, just above the shower.

We have narrowed the field to Nutone ILF250 and Fantech REG140. The Nutone seems to have a little more output, and both claim to be quiet, so does anyone have any experience with either one? Master bath is 1880 cubic feet and based on what I have read about 250 cfm is about right.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    That is a 6in. inlet and outlet fan. Seem like alot for a fart fan. Usually bath fans have a 4in. connector and are vented in 4in. pipe. Make sure that you insulate the duct in the attic.

Post Likes
    This is a large master bath with whirlpool bath and steam shower. At just over 200 square feet, it has a vaulted ceiling running from 8' to 9'-6". I was going by the 8 turns per hour general rule. (The toilet is in its own room with its own fan.)

Its primary purpose is to exhaust humidity in the summer. I figured if it was too big I could always put a variable speed control on there. But if it is too small I would end up doing the whole job over. I hate when that happens.

Post Likes

Exclamation STEAM

Originally posted by beachwalker
    This is a large master bath with whirlpool bath and Steam shower. At just over 200 square feet, it has a vaulted ceiling running from 8' to 9'-6".
    For a Steam shower,
    you may wish to look at ~400 CFM (i.e. FR200 or larger) and add the speed controller Now.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Wouldnt a large exhaust fan defeat the purpose of a steam shower? Definatly add the speed controller.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input. The steam shower is enclosed and only the steam or humid air in the case of a shower escapes when you open the door or the glass panel at the top of the door. The return for the exhaust is directly above it.

Anyone know of a combination timer and variable speed control so the fan will shut off after a set period of time?

Post Likes
    Go to the fantec web site. Im sure they have something or call fantech support.

Post Likes
    coolwhip:

Yes, I have visited both sites. We have narrowed the field to Nutone ILFK250 and Fantech REG140. The Nutone has higher cfm's, but only one year warranty. The Fantech, has lower cfm's, but three year warranty. I was hoping for some feedback from someone who may have used both. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I have used both. I think the fantec may be liile quieter but not much. They are both constructed very well. Other than that, I cant think of any differences besides some cfm ratings.

In addition, the white fans are for outdoor use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in