Routine A/C Maintenance

We've lived in our new home for about 5 years and the Armstrong A/C condensors have never been serviced. We live in the south so we've recently begun our A/C season.

How often should the condensors be maintained? I'm probably going to find a contractor to check out the units but I don't know what they should do as part of the service call. What do you suggest be done to these units? I haven't noticed any problems with them so far. Should someone checkout the air handlers (furnaces)? Thanks.

clean condenser coils with chemicals if it hasn't ever been done. check capacitors and contactor for pitting. Verify proper airflow before checking charge. check and record OD and indoor temp, SH and SC. If system is found to be low on gas, have them look for a leak, rather than just blindly putting in a "top off" It is not a bad idea to amp the blower motorto make sure all is well with it. This is what I do on a A/C maintainence call

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    clean condenser coils with chemicals if it hasn't ever been done. check capacitors and contactor for pitting. Verify proper airflow before checking charge. check and record OD and indoor temp, SH and SC. If system is found to be low on gas, have them look for a leak, rather than just blindly putting in a "top off" It is not a bad idea to amp the blower motorto make sure all is well with it. This is what I do on a A/C maintainence call
    I agree except Armstrong coils have a coating that coil cleaners will damage I like to just hose them out or use a citrus based cleaner and water

simple green would also work good

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I agree except Armstrong coils have a coating that coil cleaners will damage I like to just hose them out or use a citrus based cleaner and water
    I agree.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Thanks Catmanacman
    That's good info. Could help me from really screwing something up

Thanks guys. As luck would have it, one of my AC condensors died last night. Refrigerant line outside frozen over. Service tech coming out later today.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Lineset froze=indoor coil iced =airflow problem, or low charge. Check your filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.phil View Post
    Lineset froze=indoor coil iced =airflow problem, or low charge. Check your filter.
    The problem was diagnosed as a bad furnace blower motor which had to be ordered.