+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working/installs in the rain?

Post Likes

working/installs in the rain?

I know I can ask my guys why we don't really do it, but I wanted some of y'all s opinions/thoughts.

do y'all do work in the rain if it involves outside stuff at all?
    is it just too dangerous?

I know we have a quick-fold awning type deal for those 100+ degree summers when we are doing a long rooftop job, to provide some shade.
    why can't we use something like that in the rain?

Post Likes
    Strictly my opinion, I think it is to dangerous. 1st HVAC outside equipment tend to be lightening rods. 2nd, to big of chance to get water into the system, I have thought about the awning you talked about but also must consider the humididty as moisture also. 3rd is working on electrical insthe rain just seems like it would be hard to keep thing dry for when you do turn power back on. We did one package unit in the rain, don't plan on doing it again.

Post Likes
    What is rain?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    we have been averaging 1 day a week without rain. if we didn't work in the rain no one would have worked during the last month.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Heck.

If I refused to work in the rain, I'd have taken almost all of April off.

Suck it up, get a jacket and get to work.

Post Likes
    Danner boots, 2 pair of wool socks, and I go to the Helly Hanson outlet store and buy a SERIOUS waterproof breatheable jacket. The last one I bought retailed for $250.00 I paid $90.00 end of season clearance. Waterproof pants too for really bad days. It is not unusual to have rain 20 or 30 days in a row near Portland Oregon. It is May 4th and today will be our 2nd 70* day this year!
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    hehe. hmm. good thing we don't get that much rain here.
    thanks for the replys.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb45696 View Post
    hehe. hmm. good thing we don't get that much rain here.
    thanks for the replys.
    That's the whole thing in a nutshell right there..........if you're in a place that seldom rains, you can get away with not working that day. If you're in a part of the country that rains alot, you have to work in it or the work just won't get done. Just have to adapt...

Post Likes
    I dont allow any refrigerant systems to be opened on rainy days, and wont even schedule a replacement if rain is forecast, but other than that, just another day. life sucks, get a fu***** helmet.

Post Likes
    We seldom get a full day of rain here. It usually lasts a few hours to a half a day. We may have weeks on end where there is 20-60% chance of rain every day but we may only get wet one day out of all of them.

Post Likes
    I pop up a 10 x10 shade tent and go to work otherwise we get to backed up and it seems like we never catch up

Post Likes
    Yup, spent many of days in the rain. Last month was most of em. lol

Post Likes
    Other than exposing an open system to actual rain, we be the mailman.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Down here, rain storms can just come out of nowhere and they usually bring a bunch of lightning and thunder with them. I prefer not to work in the rain. It is too dangerous all the way around. If it's raining, I will find indoor work.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    We do what it take to work in the rain, rain coats, umbrellas, tarps....Yesterday 5 guys all drenched 6 hours rigging 6 20ton RTU's and placing curbs on roof at 2 stores.

Today every man in a different shoes, electric,gas piping,and duct-work done, tested heating and cooling good.

Post Likes
    I forgot what rain was. Don't work in it unless I'm stuck half way through and want to finish.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Not going to open up a refrigeration system in the rain or do a change out in pouring rain. Maybe some small electrical work if I can rig a panel as a roof over my head. I look a road work crews, lawn mower guys, building construction companies. They work in crappier weather then I do. I think I'll wear my rain suit if I have to.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    I guess it really depends a lot on location. I coulda guessed what the other Texas folk would say

Post Likes
    There is also a month or two out of the year where it rains every day between 3:30pm and 4:00pm. Sometimes it even rains when the sun is shining bright and it seems like there isn't a cloud in the sky.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I am on the coast of Maine. If we didn't work in the rain or snow, we wouldn't get much done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in