Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,795
    I can`t find anything other than the wiring diagram on their web site.I checked a B model machiene today.I didn`t have time to see the result of cleaning the condensor and evap.Didn`t bother checking a safety message,and left the place hoping that was it.After the first drop machiene stopped is what i am told.I believe the discharge thermistor was loose.Can you educate me on this thermistor and operation of this model.I am guessing if the thermistor is loose its seeing a cold discharge line during harvest and keeps the fan motor off and after ice droppes it causes high pressure safety to trip.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,795
    also I wanted to ask about safety limit #3 and#4 I don`t remember which one is which.thanks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,374

    wannafreeze.........

    Safety limit #3 will shut down the machine if the discharge temperature falls below 85F during 3 cycles in a row. #4 is for discharge temps exceeding 255F.

    Here's the link to the service manual for the B-Series single evaporator machines:
    http://www.manitowocice.com/Service/...als.asp#SINGLE

    I've seen #3 safety shutdowns primarily in situations where there have been extended harvest times, usually due to dirty or failed evaporators. It's often a tossup whether you get a #2 or a #3 in those cases.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    916
    bringing up a old thread, but we have the same machine in our shop. We don't do refrigeration, but our machine runs for 2-3 days and will stop with a #2. We cleaned the coil but still run into this problem.
    .

    Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
    high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
    skillful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
    alternatives."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by ;826227
    I didn`t have time to see the result of cleaning the condensor and evap.Didn`t bother checking a safety message,and left the place hoping that was it.
    I know what you mean; I don't have time to answer your post either. I've got to go now; I have an ice machine I have to go fix.

    I can't help it if you didn't have enough time!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    I know what you mean; I don't have time to answer your post either. I've got to go now; I have an ice machine I have to go fix.

    I can't help it if you didn't have enough time!
    Wiseguy,I agree it was a poor practice what I did two years ago when I was just learning how to do business with cheap people.Way before I decided to dump them all and work for the ones that can pay my time to watch their antique machines go through 3 cycles.

    How did you find time to start only ONE post in six years you've been around this forum?The one you posted the picture of a suction coil critisizing something so easy that a first month tech school student could see that it was so wrong.
    Don't answer my posts or anybody else's post if you have nothing useful to say.
    Show me one post I got sarcastic with anybody's question if you think I deserve anybody's stupid,redundant remark.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    I can't help it if you didn't ....................!
    You must realy like agitating people with this same type of remark.Every one of your replies end with the same negativity.
    What's the problem?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    916
    holy crap.....all I wanted to do was ask a question. I didn't mean to start a war from 6 years ago.

    Lets make Ice.....not war
    .

    Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
    high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
    skillful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
    alternatives."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonHoustonTX View Post
    holy crap.....all I wanted to do was ask a question. I didn't mean to start a war from 6 years ago.

    Lets make Ice.....not war
    #2 is for 3 consecutive times long harvest.(3.5 min)
    If you wonder what my problem was two years ago,I had a machine on an uneven floor.(therefore water was leaking into the bin.)I had a couple of trips there everytime for some reason they would push the machine.
    Did you clean the evap? To start with..
    Last edited by wannafreeze; 06-12-2007 at 05:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    Don't answer my posts or anybody else's post if you have nothing useful to say.
    OK, OK, OK,......lighten up. I was just kidding. Geez!

    Yes, I've seen your problem before. In my case, the TXV was underfeeding. BTW, it took some time to determine it was the TXV. I had to recover the refrigerant (HP81) charge and weigh it back in to manufacture's specs. Then I clamped a Fluke pipe thermometer next to the discharge line thermistor, disconnected the thermistor wires from the control board and on to a digital ohm meter and monitored the temperature & ohms to see if the machine's discharge temperature and the thermistor were performing to specs on page 6-24 & 6-25. http://www.manitowocice.com/Document...to_6-30_sm.pdf

    I found the thermistor worked perfectly. Unfortunately, I found the discharge temperature exceeded 255°F (3.5K ohms) during the freeze cycle (about 8 minutes into the freeze cycle). Luckily for the customer, the ice machine was still under the manufacture's 3 years parts & labor warranty. Unfortunately for me, I was only allowed 4½ hours allowance from Manitowoc to make the repair, and I took me longer.

    If you're lucky, only your thermistor will be faulty.

    Jabs

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    OK, OK, OK,......lighten up. I was just kidding. Geez!

    Yes, I've seen your problem before. In my case, the TXV was underfeeding. BTW, it took some time to determine it was the TXV. I had to recover the refrigerant (HP81) charge and weigh it back in to manufacture's specs. Then I clamped a Fluke pipe thermometer next to the discharge line thermistor, disconnected the thermistor wires from the control board and on to a digital ohm meter and monitored the temperature & ohms to see if the machine's discharge temperature and the thermistor were performing to specs on page 6-24 & 6-25. http://www.manitowocice.com/Document...to_6-30_sm.pdf

    I found the thermistor worked perfectly. Unfortunately, I found the discharge temperature exceeded 255F (3.5K ohms) during the freeze cycle (about 8 minutes into the freeze cycle). Luckily for the customer, the ice machine was still under the manufacture's 3 years parts & labor warranty. Unfortunately for me, I was only allowed 4 hours allowance from Manitowoc to make the repair, and I took me longer.

    If you're lucky, only your thermistor will be faulty.

    Jabs
    I hear that Hoshi thermistors almost never fail.Is it the same for Manit?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    669
    Oh! Wait a minute, is your HPS tripping? If yes, disregard my previous reply.

    The thermistor has nothing to do with a HPS trip. It only monitors the compressor's discharge line temperature.

    Jabs

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    I hear that Hoshi thermistors almost never fail.Is it the same for Manit?
    I've worked on just as many Hoshizakis as Manitowocs and I have never seen a bad Hoshizaki thermistor, but I have seen a couple of bad Manitowoc thermistors.

    Jabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event