Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I know there are alot of different opinions about using lasers for shooting superheat/subcooling/return air etc..I'd like to hear from the folks that believe in them and to what extend they use them ? and if they use any tricks to get certain readings ?

Read the directions.

Not trying to be a smart ass.
    Scan the target area. Avoid shiney/reflective surfaces. Be sceptical, recheck. Don't try and do SH or SC with them.
    Have found bad components by temp., Breakers, coils, etc.

I would be surprised if anyone is using them for SC or SH. There are too many variables that affect the reading and you want an accurate reading here. The only time I use them is if I need t get a temperature on something I physically can't get to or don't want to touch like fuses or contacts, and even then I consider it an approximation. Maybe others have more faith in the reading than I do.

I say this not to be mean or discouraging, I saw in another post earlier from you that you are "deciding if you should enter the trade" or not. I would urge you to base that determination based on sound knowledge of the systems,techniques, practices and the guidance of others who are skilled in the industry....not on short-cuts which IMHO is what you are doing or trying to do with the infrared t-mom, laser or non-contact t-moms. We have alot of fancy little toys and gadgets and I am probably one of the worst to jump out and buy the first one on the counter, but without a true understanding of the system, why it does what it does, where it does it and a solid foundation in that knowledge you are fighting a no win battle. The fancy toys don't help when a regional manager stands over your shoulder screaming because he has $10,000. worth of ice cream pooling in the bottom of his case or the equipment owners pregnant wife is staying at her mothers house because she can't get comfortable in the heat and humidity and he is standing in front of you wanting to know why your doing what your doing and how it has anything to do with why he has no air. Training, training, training and then when your flushing coils with a water hose 10 or 12 hours a day more training. It is a trade, it is a lifestyle. It isn't easy, doesn't happen over night, and there are no shortcuts to experience...but your lifestyle can be enriched because of the trade....if you do it right, right now.

Exclamation Limited Use

Originally posted by trenton_guy
    I'd like to hear from the folks that believe in them and to what extend they use them ?
    Use of your instrument to the specific surface must be "calibrated" based on the material's inherent reflectivity.

I would limit use to reading temperature of diffusers and ducts and limited to about 8-foot 'reach'.

Also, I believe that many laser temp guns should NOT be used on copper.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Here is what you need to take superheat/subcooling readings, I have one and it works great

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooper-digital-c...QQcmdZViewItem

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by swampfox
    Here is what you need to take superheat/subcooling readings, I have one and it works great

Hey Swamp...got a part or model number for it? I'm interested but can't find it on the net...cooper have a website of their own?

will not be accurate for reading pipe tempertures. you can tape, scrape and wait and it will not be accurate.
    ive tested it against a fluke clamp thermometer and i will not work. but i am a perfectionist and i like to know i am fairly close.

thay are good if you want a general temp. ie... comercial bilding reg. 10ft. up and you want to know if the a/c is blowing cold air. or trying to determan if a duct is not geting air. genral stuff, if you want accuracy go with a fluke51 or something like it.

Ill see if I can find out the model #, I got mine at Johnstone

I use mine to make quick delta temp. checks between the return and supply grilles. Another great use for them is non-contact temperature checks of fuses or breakers for heating while the equipment is operating.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Originally posted by senior tech
    Originally posted by swampfox

Hey Swamp...got a part or model number for it? I'm interested but can't find it on the net...cooper have a website of their own?
    I almost bought one at Johnstone but would like to find something a little more accurate than plus or minus 3 degrees.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Fat mans relief

Thats what I call them. If your older and slightly wider around the middle, they are great for checking high ceiling registers for temperature without getting the ladder off of the truck. Not to shabby for a quick delta t as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast