Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have been informed by people who should know that I need a new furnace. Our current furnace is oil, and we don't have natural gas in our rural area. I would be open to switching to bottled gas.

Our house is old (about 170 years) 2 story, 1700 square feet plus basement, plank walled with vinyl siding backed by insulation. New high efficiency windows throughout, 12" insulation in the attic.

I want a very efficient furnace as I live smack in the middle of the infamous Buffalo, NY snow belt. Any general advice or suggestions of brands/models I should look for would be greatly appreciated. Websites I have looked at recommend Carrier, Adams, Dornback, Bryant and Trane. What are your opinions on durability, efficiency, low cost, etc.?

I have some time before heating season, but would like to get the ball rolling ASAP.

Thanks

are you gonna install this yourself?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

LP is very expensive heat. Suggest you find out local rates before deciding.

New furnace

"tinner73 are you gonna install this yourself?"

No I'm not. I am finding that contractors usually work with certain brands and that some brands don't even make oil furnaces. I've contacted a few contractors so far and have found they frequently work only with natural gas furnaces. Is this common?

"LP is very expensive heat. Suggest you find out local rates before deciding"

I suspect you're right that LP gas is too expensive. That leaves me with oil or electric as the only options. I'm assuming that electric is too expensive also, as I know that our electric bills are quite high around here anyway. Everything in our house is electric except heat.

Oil Furnace

We use Hallmark as a brand, excellent product lifetime warranty on heat exchanger, Beckett Burner, here in Mass.
    Get quality installer and have heat loss calculation done,
    proper duct work sizing is very important.
    DO NOT OVERSIZE

LP can be very spendy.. Do some price shopping.. go to http://www.warmair.com and compair fuel prices for your area.

I almost want to say, stay with oil. Look into Thermopride.. They seems to be the only company now days that still makes "yesterday" True furnace.

Confused "yesterday" True furnace?

What does "'yesterday' True furnace" mean?

Re:

Originally posted by baseball101
    What does "'yesterday' True furnace" mean?
    He means a furnace that is built like a tank and will last a very long time. Thermoprides while pricier are probably the best oil furnace out there. Even if LP gas is a little cheaper than oil, oil may be your best bet. LP puts out less btus/gal than oil does.

Thermopride is definitely has the upperhand in manufacturing quality, material quality, full, tranferable lifetime heat exchanger warranty to subsequent homeowners. They operate very quietly, especially with a burner cover and outside combustion air intake. Their combustion efficiencies are some of the best I've found in the 80+ oil furnace market. They are battle tanks!! But, they are relatively expensive,and very, very heavy.
    As a close second to Thermo-Pride, the Williamson Centennial oil furnace is my choice for an 80+ F/A model. They actually have a heavier (10ga) primary xchanger, easier to check and use cleanout covers, and have a more modern appearance. Full lifetime xchanger warranty only to the original homeowner (20 yr default to subsequent).

Find out what your LP rate would be before you switch.

BTU output to BTU output, oil at $3.14 a gal, with an 80& efficient unit. Will cost the same as an LP furnace at 95% efficiency at $2.45 a gallon, to heat with.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Find out what your LP rate would be before you switch.

BTU output to BTU output, oil at $3.14 a gal, with an 80& efficient unit. Will cost the same as an LP furnace at 95% efficiency at $2.45 a gallon, to heat with.
    Praise God I had my builder stick w/ the 92.5% furnace; I would have inquired about oil had the propane tank not already been buried/installed.

there's alot of good ones out there, rudd, olsen, there's even direct vented ones, i just try to keep with direct drive blowers one less thing to worry about braking on a cold night, don't know how you heat your hot water but if it's oil and you switch to LP you will want to figure that in

I would definitly do away with Oil. Oil prices look only to go way up in the next little while. There dirty, harder to clean, and tank regulations at least here in Canada make it a constant pain for homeowners.

Make the switch to Propane, Go with a Carrier Infinity ICS, They are the most efficent furnace on the market today. Ive installed tons of the Infinity 96s and they have held up excellent. Anyone that say Carrier Infinity is a bad choice is just flat out wrong.

The DC motors use less then an amp to run, the varible gas valve will use only as much propane that is needed to keep your house at your set temp.

Ive also put in goodman, olsen, Lennex, amana, and trane. All are good furnaces, but the Carrier Infinity has won my choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast