Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I could use some help fast

I am getting my bathroom tiled today. My contractor pulled out the old shower surround, and found a wall vent behind it that was not closed up or anything, they just placed the surround right over the vent without closing it. I'm not sure if this is right or not, but it has to be tiled today. I called several plumbers and they cannot get our here today. So my question is this can I buy something to place something over the vent so no air blows out, obviously I know it needs to be done correctly in the basement, but just as a temporary fix so it does not ruin my tile

Thanks alot

Chris

Stuff a towel down it for now.Make sure you can retrieve it later.

Hmmm. Not sure why it would ruin your tile, but I think they have a tape you can close that duct off with.

Now if I could just remember what it's called...
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Pictures would be great.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

4 mil thick plastic and foil tape. Done.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The right way to do this is to follow the run back to the main supply duct.Disconnect it there, put a cap on it or a flat piece of metal with an RTV cauck around one side and screw it in place.
    You can do it now or next week and you'll have not problem unless two takeoffs are on the same feed.It won't matter if you let the a/c blow into the basement for a few days while you get the cap and a small tube of RTV.

Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    The right way to do this is to follow the run back to the main supply duct.Disconnect it there, put a cap on it or a flat piece of metal with an RTV cauck around one side and screw it in place.
    You can do it now or next week and you'll have not problem unless two takeoffs are on the same feed.It won't matter if you let the a/c blow into the basement for a few days while you get the cap and a small tube of RTV.
    I vote for this answer. Will be easiest to determine which duct to disconnect when the wall is still open. Label the duct leading up wall "disconnected supply behind shower" for future reference/confusion avoidance.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Hmmm. Not sure why it would ruin your tile, but I think they have a tape you can close that duct off with.

Now if I could just remember what it's called...
    That's good stuff

Well when you tile your shower they need to use Cement board and that will cover the duct up for you. Problem solved.

As to where it's leading, that's for you to find out. Shouldn't be too complicated

Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    I also vote for this, easy fix and will not have a problem

My advice would be to slow down and wait for somebody who knows what they are doing to fix it. I find that when I try to rush things. I end up spending more time and money later than just spending a little bit of time now.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

why would you call a plumber ? is it a waste line ? you should have called an hvac contractor
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

If they just discovered the duct today and are tiling today, then there is more than HVAC being done wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast