Confused ERV reviews Energy Recovery Ventilator recomendations

Can anyone tell me if there are any other places to get information or reviews on ERV's other than the HVI? Would also welcome any recommendations and here is our situation-
    Energy star, new construction, modular ranch (~2000 sq. ft) with walkout ~1300 sq.ft finished basement.
    Radiant floor heat and want to install completely seperate A/C and ERV systems by floor. The basement will be the testerone playland and have cigar smoke on poker nights with supplemental smoke eaters. Smoking of any kind will be banned from main floor.

I had wanted renewaire but their doesn't seem to be any residential installers that use them in Northeastern NJ. One contractor uses the Aprilaire 8100 but I'm very reluctant because they-
    A) are not HVI certified,
    B) recommend ONE return in a central location (what are we back in the dark ages of undercutting doors to save room specific returns?)
    C) don't have the switch/control like Renewaire does allowing for constant run during peak times such as smoking or big family gatherings.
    D) would be undersized for downstairs smoke remediation requirements

Thanks for your insights

http://www.vanee-ventilation.com/eng/index.html
    is a manufacturer of HRVs/ERVs and has a bunch of information.

http://www.vanee.ca/iaq-faq.php
    is a Canadian distributor of vanEE products and has similar information.

I know that their Platinum controller is programmable - 4 periods per day if i remember correctly

when researching ERVs last year, i found little "independant" information.

Quote Originally Posted by katzaw View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there are any other places to get information or reviews on ERV's other than the HVI? Would also welcome any recommendations and here is our situation-
    Energy star, new construction, modular ranch (~2000 sq. ft) with walkout ~1300 sq.ft finished basement.
    Radiant floor heat and want to install completely seperate A/C and ERV systems by floor. The basement will be the testerone playland and have cigar smoke on poker nights with supplemental smoke eaters. Smoking of any kind will be banned from main floor.

I had wanted renewaire but their doesn't seem to be any residential installers that use them in Northeastern NJ. One contractor uses the Aprilaire 8100 but I'm very reluctant because they-
    A) are not HVI certified,
    B) recommend ONE return in a central location (what are we back in the dark ages of undercutting doors to save room specific returns?)
    C) don't have the switch/control like Renewaire does allowing for constant run during peak times such as smoking or big family gatherings.
    D) would be undersized for downstairs smoke remediation requirements

Thanks for your insights
    I like the idea of fresh air ventilation in your home. A few concerns from the point of view of making your the best you can.

I suggest fresh air ventilation with the ability to maintain <50%RH throughout your home when the outdoor dew points are +60^F which most of the spring/summer/fall in NJ.
    A whole house ventilating dehumidifier for fresh make-up air with an exhaust fan in the smoking, bathing, and kitchen areas. This maintain fresh air when occupied and maintaining <50%RH throughout the home even without any cooling load.
    Most do not understand that ERVs while reducing moisture from outside, still move 60% of the moisture in the fresh air into the home. After a couple air changes, the inside moisture rises to the point that 100% of the moisture in the outside air is distributed to the home.
    If you decide to use an ERV, you will need a good dehumidifier to maintain <50%RH in your home. Smoke exiting through an ERV also transfers some of odor through the core to incoming air.
    Best to positively pressurize the home with a good quiet exhaust fan in the room with the smoke.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

ERV reviews Energy Recovery Ventilators recommendations

HVI is the only independent rating organization, which is voluntary; the mfgr pays for testing. Always compare apples to apples.
    Contact RenewAire tech support, who are very helpful. They can advise any heating contractor to apply what they already know; mechanics, airflow and duct sizing. Their units are simple to install since they have no condensate pan or drain and no mounting limitation. You want a unit which does not condense, otherwise you will have a box of gunk from the smoke and moisture.
    For the smoking room, a separate ERV should be used, and slightly depressurize the room so more air leaves than comes in. For cigar smoke, figure 60cfm/occupant. Smoke eaters may work for a short time, but usually ineffective.